Quinoa Roast Pumpkin Feta Bites with Coriander Mayo
These yummy crispy treats that are full of goodness have been shared with us by Gabrielle from Kitch'n Thyme. They are delicious, and so easy! Even better for the fact they are packed with veggies too. Gabrielle has created this recipe using organic ingredients where possible.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These will fill you up in no time, and they are super yummy!" - Channy
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 1 hour
Makes 35 bites
Can be frozen
- quinoa - 170g, (500g cooked), uncooked, white
- water - 800g, for steaming
- pumpkin - 300g, peeled & diced into 1-2cm cubes
- olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- salt - sprinkle
- spring onions - 2, roughly chopped
- fresh coriander - 1/2 bunch, finely chopped
- fresh mint - 3 sprigs, finely chopped
- zucchini - 2, chopped into 3-4cm pieces
- feta cheese - 100g, crumbled
- breadcrumbs - 50g
- spelt flour - 50g, wholemeal
- eggs - 2, lightly beaten
- sea salt - 2 tsp
- breadcrumbs - panko, for shallow frying
- olive oil - or ghee, or rice bran oil, for shallow frying
- Coriander mayo:
- garlic clove - 1
- fresh coriander - 1/2 bunch (approx. 10g), leaves only
- egg yolks - 2
- mustard - 1 tsp, Dijon
- lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- sea salt - 1/2 -1 tsp
- olive oil - 250g, light, or rice bran, or macadamia
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Rinse quinoa (170g) under running water in a fine mesh sieve. Set aside.
- Place the rinsed quinoa into the internal steaming basket. Add water (800g) into the mixer bowl and insert the internal steaming basket. Program 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. When it has finished, remove the internal steaming basket with your machine's spatula and set aside to drain.
- Place the pumpkin (300g) onto the prepared tray. Drizzle with the olive oil (2 Tbsp) and sprinkle with some salt. Toss with your hands to coat the pumpkin thoroughly. Transfer to the oven to roast for 25 minutes or until just tender with a knife. You want the pumpkin to hold together in the mix.
- Into the clean dry bowl add the spring onions (2), coriander (1/2), and mint (3). Blitz Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the zucchinis (2) into the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 5 seconds. Transfer to the large mixing bowl.
- Add feta (100g), breadcrumbs (50g), flour (50g), eggs (2), sea salt (2 tsp), cooked pumpkin and cooked quinoa to the mixing bowl. Mix together with a flexible spatula until thoroughly combined.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Be careful not to overheat as you don't want the oil to smoke.
- Grab small spoonfuls with your hands and push together into little rounds. Gently flatten into bite sized morsels and coat with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Pan fry on either side until golden brown before draining on absorbent paper towel.
- Serve warm with the coriander mayonnaise.
- Place the garlic (1) and coriander (1/2) into the mixer bowl and chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add the egg yolks (2), mustard (1 tsp), lemon juice (1 Tbsp) and salt (1/2-1 tsp) and mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- With the whisk rotating on Speed 4 and measuring cap in place, gradually pour oil (250g) into mixer bowl lid. Add oil slowly to start with and then faster as the mayonnaise starts to emulsify. This should take around 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with the quinoa bites or store in the fridge in a jar. It will keep for approximately 3 days, due to the raw egg.