Quinoa & Four Veg Cakes
These tasty little cakes have been shared with us by Paula from Nourish Me Natural. They travel beautifully and make a perfect savoury bite for a picnic, but can also double as a delightfully light dinner or a lunchbox item.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These were super delicious. My youngest loved them and had 2 cold ones in her lunch box for lunch. I'll definitely make them again and love that I can alter the vegetables for variety. Big hit here!" - Claire
No: Gluten / Nuts
Contains: Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Makes 12 cakes
Best served fresh or from refrigerator
- quinoa - 100g
- water - 400g, filtered
- capsicum - 1, red
- brown rice - 30g, basmati
- Parmesan cheese - 70g, chunks, or feta cheese, or mixture of both (*Omit for DF)
- fresh basil - handful
- leek - 1, medium, cut into chunks
- zucchini - 1, medium, quartered
- garlic clove - 1, large
- olive oil - 15g, plus extra oil to grease the tin
- baby spinach - 80g, leaves
- eggs - 2, large
- salt - a good grind
- pepper - a good grind, black
- Measure 100g uncooked quinoa into a fine mesh sieve. Rinse well over a sink and drain.
- Add quinoa to the internal steaming basket and set in place in your thermo mixer.
- Add 400g of filtered water to the bowl. Program 18 minutes / 100C / Speed 4, measuring cap on, until quinoa is plump and slightly crunchy.
- While the quinoa is cooking, cut the cheeks off the red capsicum (1) and place on a sheet of aluminium foil under a high grill until blackened. This should take about 10 minutes. Then wrap the capsicum in the foil and set aside to cool. Later peel off the skin and dice. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Once quinoa has finished, remove internal steaming basket with the spatula.
- Rinse and dry the bowl and lid.
- Add brown rice (30g) and grind Speed 9 / 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the Parmesan cheese (70g) and fresh basil (handful) to the bowl and grate Speed 8 / 15 seconds. Set aside with the milled rice.
- Add leek (1), zucchini (1) and garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Add oil (15g) and program 2 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add baby spinach leaves (80g) and program 2 minutes / 100C / Speed 1, measuring cap on, until leaves begin to wilt.
- Return the milled rice, Parmesan & basil and cooked quinoa (along with feta if using) to the bowl together with the eggs (2) and diced red capsicum.
- Season well, then combine for Reverse+Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Grease a muffin tin with oil and scoop the mixture into the muffin holes, fill to the top, press down and level with a spoon.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool and set slightly before removing from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Delicious with tomato chutney & rocket.
Transport in a sealed airtight container with an ice pack to keep them cool. Keep refrigerated as long as possible.