Quinoa and Kale Curry
This delicious and nutritious curry has been shared with us by Tenina from Cooking With Tenina. This amazing grain quinoa is not actually a grain! Throw all sorts of flavour at quinoa and you not only get protein, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and fiber, you get a (non) grain that will take on any amount of flavour in the midst of all that nutritional weight. Plain. Simple. Plain and simple.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This has to be one of the most delicious curries I have ever had (and oh so healthy what with the quinoa and kale). If you aren't a fan of kale, try it in this dish as the flavours of the curry override it. Otherwise a straight substitution with spinach should work perfectly. Serve on rice if you want although simply delicious as it is." - Claire
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
- yellow curry paste - 2 Tbsp
- turmeric - 2 tsp, ground
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- ginger - 5 cm piece, peeled
- galangal - 5 cm piece, peeled
- onion - 1, red, halved
- olive oil - 50g, extra virgin
- quinoa - 150g, well rinsed
- vegetable stock - 400g, liquid, or water
- carrots - 2-3, peeled and sliced
- tinned tomatoes - 400g
- salt flakes - pink, to taste
- pepper - black, freshly ground to taste
- green beans - handful, topped and tailed
- kale - 120g, baby leaves (or chopped grown-up kale leaves!)
- fresh coriander - handful, leaves, to serve
- lime - wedges, to serve
- yoghurt - optional, to serve
- Place curry paste (2 Tbsp), turmeric (2 tsp), garlic cloves (3), ginger (5cm piece), galangal (5cm piece), onion (1) and oil (50g) into mixer bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1.
- Add quinoa (150g), stock (400g), carrots (2-3) and tomatoes (400g). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place green beans (handful) into steaming attachment lower dish and set on top of bowl. Program 18 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 1. Remove steaming attachment.
- Add kale (120g) to mixer bowl. Program 2 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.
- Serve in large bowls, topped with green beans and garnished with coriander leaves and with a lime wedge and yoghurt if desired.