Quick Orange Cake
This is a hugely popular recipe that was given to me when my oldest son was a newborn and it became my go to cake for mothers group or when guests came over for dinner and I wanted something super easy for dessert. I have tweaked it over the years slightly. I find that using a whole orange (yes skin and all) and flesh from another gives the perfect balance of flavour - Peta
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 50 minutes
Can be frozen
- orange - 1 whole, valencia, thin skinned, quartered
- orange - flesh from a valencia, whole thin skinned, quartered
- butter - 200g, softened
- sugar - 100g
- self raising flour - 300g
- eggs - 3
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line cake tin.
- Place oranges (1 whole and flesh from another) into bowl. Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Ensure all skin has been processed and resembles zest. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add butter (200g), sugar (100g), flour (300g), eggs (3) and vanilla (1 tsp) to bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 30 seconds or until combined.
- Pour into prepared tin.
- Cook for approximately 45-60 minutes until cooked through. This will vary depending on your oven and the tin you used.
- Serve warm with custard or cold with whipped cream and orange slices.
Note: these make great muffins also! Be sure to use a thin skinned orange otherwise the cake may become too bitter due to pith.