- Prep Time: 1h 35 min
- Cook Time: 26 minutes
- Serving: Serves 06-08
Queso Fresco (Fresh Cheese)
Making your own fresh cheese doesn't need to be complicated or expensive! You can easily make it at home for your next BBQ or get-together with friends using this recipe, shared with us by Tenina Holder from Cooking with Tenina. This will knock the socks off your guests!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “I have never made cheese before, and this was so easy. This is a soft mild cheese, so it can be served with a variety of flavours. My favourite was mixing it with sweet chilli sauce and serving on biscuits. Yum." - Lesley
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes + 1 hour 30 minutes draining time
Cooking Time 26 minutes
Serves 6-8 as an appetiser
Cannot be frozen
You will need:
- milk - 1.5-2L, full fat
- cream - 200g
- salt flakes - pinch, pink, plus extra for serving
- lemon juice - 60g, fresh
- Serving suggestions:
- truffle oil
- lemon - 1-2, finely grated zest only
- chilli flakes
- fresh herbs of choice - chopped
- sweet chilli sauce
- crackers - ensure GF if required
- Add the full fat milk (1.5-2L), cream (200g) and salt (pinch) to the bowl. Program 13 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Program 13 minutes / 50C / Speed 2.
- Add lemon juice (20g only) to the bowl. Stir Speed 2 / 3 seconds. Repeat two more times with the remaining lemon juice (40g, for 60g total).
- Allow the mixture to stand in the mixer bowl for about 30 minutes.
- Line a sieve with a quadruple layer of cheesecloth and place it over a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture out into the sieve and drain off the whey. Squeeze the cheese solids gently to remove excess whey. Reserve the whey for other uses.
- Wrap the cheese tightly into a ball and allow it to hang and drain over a sink for an hour or so.
- Serve with any or all suggested accompaniments as desired.
Make your own!
* Make your own sweet chilli sauce with the Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce recipe from The Make It At Home Issue.
* Make your own crackers with these recipes:
- The Tea Party Issue - Olive Oil Crackers or Rosemary Crackers
- The Lunchbox Issue - Seeded Crackers (GF)
- The Picnic Issue - Lavosh Yeast Free Crackers, Fig and Olive Crackers or Cheesy Flax Crackers (GF)
- The Party Issue - ‘Free From Lots’ Crackers (GF)
- The Easy Issue - Moroccan Seed Crackers (GF)
- The On the Road Issue - Grain Free Crackers (GF)
- The Packed Lunch Issue - Cheesy Crackers or Seeded Polenta Crackers (GF)
- The Snacks Issue - Parmesan Sesame Crackers (GF) or Carrot and Seed Crackers (GF) or Grain Free Cumin Chickpea Crackers (GF)
- The Herb Garden Bonus Issue - Crunchy Thyme Crackers
- The Readers Issue - 4 Ingredient Cheese Crackers
- The Summer Issue - Lemon Pepper Almond Crackers