Pumpkin Sage Tartlets
This recipe gives you the opportunity to serve something truly yummy, but very adaptable for your guests that may have dietary intolerances. The tartlet cases are cleverly constructed using Alexx Stuart’s ‘Free From Lots’ Crackers, and the pumpkin sage filling is so delicious! For an egg-free alternative, use the chia-water combo suggested in the crackers recipe, and leave it out of the pumpkin filling. As for the dairy, use coconut oil and omit the feta. It’s easy peasy!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I love recipes that are easy, can be made ahead of time and taste great and this recipe ticks all those boxes! The filling was sweet and delicious and works so well with the nutty tartlet cases." - Christina
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Makes 12 tartlets
Cannot be frozen, keep refrigerated
- pumpkin - 500g
- garlic cloves - 3, unpeeled
- egg - 1, *can omit for EF version
- fresh sage - 7 large leaves, roughly chopped
- feta cheese - 100g
- pine nuts - *omit for NF
- Tartlet cases:
- egg - 1, *for EF use 1 Tbsp chia seeds, see Step 2
- coconut oil - 30g, or butter
- sunflower kernels - 80g
- pepitas - 100g
- garlic cloves - 2
- salt flakes - 1 tsp, less for fine salt
- paprika - sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- If making the crackers egg-free, add chia seeds (1 Tbsp) to the bowl and grind Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with water (3 Tbsp). Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Peel and cut pumpkin (500g) into thick slices and place on roasting tray with unpeeled garlic cloves (3). Roast for 30 minutes.
- Add egg (1), coconut oil (30g), sunflower seeds (80g), pepitas (100g), garlic (2), salt (1 tsp) and paprika (sprinkle).
- Mix Speed 6 / 15 seconds. If you can hear that the blades are spinning without chopping, stop, scrape down sides and continue.
- Press the mixture into your muffin tin so that the base comes up the sides, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once the pumpkin and garlic has finished roasting remove from the oven, take skins off the garlic and transfer both pumpkin and garlic to the bowl.
- Add egg (1), sage (7), feta (80g only), salt and pepper to the bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 1 second.
- Once the tartlet cases have cooked, remove them from the oven and reduce the temperature to 160C.
- Transfer the cases from the muffin tray to a baking tray.
- Fill each case with the pumpkin mixture before topping each tartlet with the remaining crumbled feta cheese (20g) and pine nuts.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes. The filling should be firm and the pine nuts browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve on a platter warm or cold.