Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Getting vegetables into a smoothie is a great thing, but who would have thought pumpkin would taste so good in a drink? It's seriously delicious! Make up the pumpkin puree and the spice blend ahead of time for a quick and nutritious smoothie. You can also add a teaspoon (or as much as you like!) of the spice mixture to a cup of tea to give it a chai flair. The puree is great to have on hand in the fridge so if you ever have leftover pumpkin, just make up a batch! The pumpkin adds a delicious creaminess, perfect for those who are dairy free.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I thought I wouldn't like this as I hated pumpkin before The 4 Blades! After the Pesto Chicken on Pumpkin Mash (from The Made in 30 Issue) and now this, I am becoming a convert!" - Steph
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 10 minutes + pumpkin cooking time if required
Can be frozen
- Pumpkin pie spice blend:
- cinnamon - 2 tsp, ground
- ginger - 1 tsp, ground
- nutmeg - 1/4 tsp, ground
- cloves - 1/8 tsp, ground
- Pumpkin puree:
- water - 500g
- pumpkin - 650g, deseeded and peeled, cut into 3-4 cm pieces (approx. 500g prepared weight)
- Pumpkin pie smoothie:
- pumpkin - 80g, puree, plus additional for serving (see below for recipe if needed)
- pumpkin pie spice - 1/2-1 tsp
- coconut milk - 50g
- maple syrup - 30g, pure, OR 3-4 medjool dates, pitted and halved
- vanilla - 1 tsp, pure, extract
- ice cubes - 100g
- milk of choice - 250g, chilled
Pumpkin pie spice blend:
- Add the cinnamon (2 tsp), ginger (1 tsp), nutmeg (1/4 tsp) and cloves (1/8 tsp) to a small bowl. Mix until combined.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- This is enough for 12 servings (or 6 repetitions) of the pumpkin pie smoothie.
- Add water (500g) to the bowl. Set the internal steaming basket in place and add the pumpkin (650g) to the basket. Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- Check if cooked through by inserting a fork into the pumpkin. It should slide in and out easily. Extend cooking time by 5 minutes if necessary.
- Once cooked, remove the basket with your spatula and set aside. Discard water. Move pumpkin to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Mix Speed 5 / 10 seconds.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Pumpkin pie smoothie:
- Add pumpkin puree (80g), spice blend (1/2-1 tsp) and coconut milk (50g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the maple syrup (30g), vanilla (1 tsp), ice (100g) and milk (250g) to the bowl. Program 1:30 minutes / Speed 10.
- Place approximately 1 Tbsp of pumpkin puree into the base of each glass, then pour in the smoothie.
- Serve immediately with a spoon to stir before drinking.