Pulled Pork Burritos
Dinner is served with these delicious Mexican-style pulled pork burritos. The sauce is fruity and rich and the pork so succulent... you will want to go back for more. Check out the bottom of the recipe for handy freezer tips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It was AMAZING!!! Even my 8 year old got past the spices and mild chilli to not only eat two helpings but compliment me on a yummy dinner (unheard of)." - Tina
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 2 hours
Can be frozen
- wraps - to serve (make your own with the Spinach Wraps or Gluten Free Wraps recipes from The Lunchbox Issue)
- rocket - leaves, to serve
- sour cream - to serve (*omit for DF)
- Pulled pork:
- pork shoulder - 1, boneless (about 1.2kg)
- onion - 3, red, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- apple - 1, cored and quartered
- ginger - 2cm piece, fresh, peeled
- orange juice - 400g
- paprika - 3 tsp
- chilli powder - 1 tsp
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, seeds
- star anise - 2
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black, ground
- lime - 1, juice only
- soy sauce - 15g (*ensure GF if required)
- Worcestershire sauce - (*ensure GF if required; make your own with the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from the Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus Issue)
- brown sugar - 30g
- white wine vinegar - 20g
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Remove the skin from the pork shoulder (1) and chop into small cubes about 4cm. Place in a casserole dish about 24cm diameter.
- For the sauce, place the red onions (3), garlic cloves (4), apple (1) and ginger (2cm piece) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the orange juice (400g), paprika (3 tsp), chilli powder (1 tsp), cumin (1 tsp), ground coriander (1 tsp), coriander seeds (1 tsp), star anise (2), salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp), lime juice (from 1 lime), soy sauce (15g), Worcestershire sauce (20g), brown sugar (30g) and vinegar (20g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 2.5 / 10 seconds.
- Add the sauce to the pork and cover with the lid. Bake in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and take the pork chunks out of the dish. Place them in the bowl. Shred Speed 4 / 3 seconds. If it is not fine enough, shred for another second. Transfer back into the casserole dish.
- Place the dish back in the oven without the lid and bake again for 20 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Serve immediately with wraps, rocket and sour cream.
- You can easily freeze the pulled pork burrito mix and thaw as needed. Simply reheat in a saucepan on a medium heat for 10 minutes, or in the microwave.
- The pork stores well in the freezer for up to 3 months.