Pulled Pork and Colourful Coleslaw Sliders
Pulled pork is such a trendy menu item at the moment and it has the cafe price tag to match. Don't let the total cost of this recipe fool you. By making it from home (and believe us, this is so easy!) you will be making a great saving. Per kilo, pork (especially as a shoulder roast, which is used in this recipe) is cheaper than beef, chicken and lamb. We have worked on a number of pulled pork recipes over a number of years, but this one takes a different direction. It is much milder than our usual pulled pork (but feel free to add more spice!) and a sauce is made from the ingredients added to the slow cooker for flavour. Waste not, want not! Serve with buns and Colourful Coleslaw for something that looks delicious and will be well received. The pork really goes a long way. We save into portions and freeze in ziplock bags to add to breakfasts and lunches.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A family friendly meal that's done in minutes, even if it takes hours to cook. I'll never make pulled pork any other way ever again!" - Janine
Contains: Gluten / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Egg
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 5 hours
Pork can be frozen
- bread - buns of choice, store bought or make your own with the dough in the Pizza & Garlic Bread recipe (*omit for gluten free)
- Pulled Pork:
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- carrot - 1, roughly chopped
- apples - 2, peeled and quartered
- salt - 3 tsp, fine
- paprika - 1 tsp
- dried parsley - 2 tsp, or other standard dried herb in your cupboard
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, ground
- garlic powder - 2 tsp
- onion powder - 1 tsp
- chilli powder - 1/4 tsp, optional
- pork shoulder - 2.5kg, or larger to the size of your slow cooker
- maple syrup - 2 tsp, (or brown sugar, or other sweetener in your cupboard)
- vegetable stock - 1 tsp, paste
- Colourful Coleslaw:
- cabbage - 250g, purple, in chunks
- carrot - 180g, in chunks
- apple - 160g, green, cored and quartered
- mayonnaise - 50g, we used the Cheat’s Mayonnaise from The Tea Party Issue (*can omit or use egg-free mayonnaise)
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Add onion (1), carrot (1) and apples (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 3 seconds.
- Spread across the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix salt (3 tsp), paprika (1 tsp), parsley (2 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp), garlic powder (2 tsp), onion powder (1 tsp) and chilli powder (1/4 tsp) in a bowl.
- Set aside two teaspoons of the seasoning mix.
- Cut any netting off the pork shoulder and open it out, rubbing the seasoning over all the meat.
- Place it into the slow cooker, fat side up.
- Cook on high heat for 5 hours.
- Once finished, remove the thick layer of fat and cut the pork into 10cm x 10cm chunks.
- Half fill the mixer bowl with the chunks of pork and a little of the reserved seasoning. Shred Speed 5 / 1 second. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining pork.
- Using the slotted spoon, transfer the solid components from the slow cooker to the mixer bowl.
- Add maple syrup (2 tsp) and vegetable stock paste (1 tsp) to the bowl. Blend Speed 6 / 10 seconds until a smooth sauce has formed.
- Stir the sauce through the pork so that all pork is covered with sauce.
- Add cabbage (250g), carrot (180g) and apple (160g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 4 / 4-6 seconds.
- Add mayonnaise and seasonings to the bowl. Reverse+Speed 4 / 3 seconds. The coleslaw should be coated with the mayonnaise.
- Set out pork, coleslaw and buns and allow your diners to help themselves! Feel free to serve with your favourite sauce. Joe loved Tabasco on his.