Prawn and Pork Dumplings
These delicious dumplings have been shared with us by Karla D'Lima from LaLa's Kitchen. They are a dim-sum staple and a necessity for your Chinese fake out. This recipe yields a big serving, meaning that you can serve them all at once if you have a crowd, or freeze them for future use.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Who needs take away when you can make delicious Asian dumplings at home? These dumplings were a hit with the whole family." - Ellen
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes total
Makes 25-35 dumplings
Can be frozen at Step 5
- mushrooms - 1 cup, sliced dried shiitake
- water - warm
- spring onions - 20g, green part only
- diced pork - 420g, 1cm cubes (or use pork mince)
- prawns - 170g, pre-marinated in garlic
- egg whites - 2
- soy sauce - 1.5 tsp
- sherry - 1.5 Tbsp, for cooking
- sesame oil - 1/2 tsp
- cornflour - 2 tsp
- vegetable stock - 1 Tbsp, concentrate
- wonton wrappers - 25-35, or siu mai wrappers
- carrots - diced into 3-5mm cubes
- water - 500g, hot tap
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms (1 cup) in warm water for approximately 20-30 minutes. When completely softened, squeeze the excess liquid and moisture out of the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Add the spring onions (20g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Repeat if necessary to ensure the spring onions are finely chopped. Scrape down sides.
- Add the soaked mushrooms to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the pork (450g), prawns (170g), egg whites (2), soy sauce (1.5 tsp), sherry (1.5 Tbsp), sesame oil (1/2 tsp), cornflour (2 tsp) and stock concentrate (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 5 / 40 seconds.
- Divide the meat mixture between the wonton wrappers. Push them together into small purse shapes, with a flat bottom and without sealing the tops. (See the picture above.)
- Place the assembled dumplings onto the greased steaming attachment upper tray and add the mini carrot cubes on top. Give the dumplings a light spray or brush with oil so that they won't stick together.
- Rinse out the mixer bowl and add hot tap water (500g). Set the steaming attachment in place. Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Serve while freshly steamed.