Power Breakfast Bars
Want a nutritious breakfast ready to go for when you are on the run? We've asked Tenina to contribute her delicious breakfast bar recipe to keep you going when time isn't on your side.
"Wrap separately, freeze and on a busy day (who has those??) you have a fantastic breakfast on the go, a mid morning snack for the energised or dare I say it, an extremely high calorie tidbit to have any time of the day or night" - Tenina
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 4 hours to set
Makes 14 bars
Can be frozen
- walnuts - 100g, pieces
- coconut - 40g, organic, shredded
- almonds - 100g
- rapadura sugar - 100g
- orange - 1, peel only
- dates - 400g, Medjool, pitted
- pistachios - 100g, shelled
- vanilla bean paste - 1 tsp
- butter - 240g, unsalted
- honey - 40g, raw
- plain flour - 300g
- cinnamon - 2 tsp, ground
- cardamom - 2 tsp, ground
- sea salt - 1 tsp, celtic
- Toast walnuts (100g) for 10 minutes by placing into cold oven and setting temperature to fan forced 200C. Allow to cool (*note from Tenina: May I just mention, do not skip this step as the difference between toasted and untoasted walnuts is a revelation in flavour!)
- Place coconut (40g), almonds (100g), rapadura (100g) and orange peel (from 1 orange) into bowl and mill Speed 9 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Place dates (400g), pistachios (100g), vanilla (1 tsp) and toasted walnuts from Step 1 into bowl and chop Speed 6 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Place butter (240g), honey (40g), flour (300g) and ground spices (2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp cardamom) into bowl and chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds.
- Cook 20 minutes / 100C / Speed 2. Ensure that mixture does not stick to centre of blade by pressing Reverse button a couple of times and also by stopping timer to scrape down sides of bowl during cooking time.
- Add 220g of coconut / almond mix and salt (1 tsp)and blend Speed 5 / 20 seconds.
- Press half that mixture into large square spring form pan lined with baking paper. Or use square pan of choice but for easy removal bring baking paper up on two sides, above the top of the pan.
- Push date mixture on top of base, press remaining cooked mix on top of that and then press (using a piece of baking paper) the remaining coconut almond mix on top of that again!
- Allow to cool completely before placing in fridge for at least 4 hours before cutting into bars.