Portuguese Custard Tarts (Pastéis de Nata)
Portuguese custard tarts are simply a mouthwatering dessert for anyone with a weakness for custard. These delicious tarts are characterised by their dark brown skin and crispy puff pastry shell. You can find many variations of this golden brown beauty across different Portuguese speaking countries but this recipe is a classic. They are called Pastéis de Nata and can be found in nearly every shop in Portugal. Some prefer the custard to be more curdled and some like it smooth but everyone is united by the sweetness and beautiful vanilla and lemon aromas they value so much in these little tarts. They are a great treat after dinner and will be the perfect ending to your BBQ fiesta!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Delicious dessert! Looks awesome (just like the picture!) and tastes amazing!" - Sarah
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 30 minutes
Cooking Time 20-40 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- caster sugar - 250g
- lemon - 1/2, zest only
- plain flour - 25g, plus extra for rolling
- cornflour - 10g
- milk - 300g, full cream
- egg yolks - 4
- egg - 1, whole
- vanilla pod - 1, seeds only
- puff pastry - 300g, ready-rolled
- Preheat the oven to 230C.
- Add caster sugar (250g) and lemon zest (1/2) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 10 seconds.
- Add the flour (25g), cornflour (10g), milk (300g), egg yolks (4), egg (1) and vanilla seeds (from 1 bean) to the bowl. Program 9 minutes / 90C / Speed 4.
- Meanwhile, prepare the puff pastry (300g). Roll out a sheet on a floured surface to a rectangle measuring roughly 50x30cm and 1mm thickness. Roll up the rectangle lengthways away from you, brushing it with water whilst rolling it up tightly.
- Cut into 12 individual pieces, 2cm long. Take each piece and place into the muffin tin face side up, moulding it to the top of the tin, using damp fingers.
- Pour in the custard until the muffin moulds are almost, but not quite, full.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until dark brown on the top. Do not be afraid of the colour, this makes them so delicious.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes before enjoying them.