Portuguese Chicken Kebabs
Yum yum yum! Why buy Portuguese chicken from fast food places when you can make it at home quickly and easily? We love these delicately spiced tenderloins teamed up with some fresh salad in a Portuguese Bread Roll (from The BBQ Issue Vol. 1) for an easy one-handed lunch.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “A quick, simple marinade that gives a delicious flavour to the chicken when you don’t have time to marinate overnight. Husband thought they were delicious!" - Jan
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes + at least 2 hours marinating time
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Can be frozen before or after cooking
You will need:
large mixing bowl
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli - 1-2, bird’s eye, or to your preferred level of heat
- onion - 50g, brown, peeled
- oil - 40g
- tomato paste - 25g
- red wine vinegar - 30g
- lime - 1, juice only
- paprika - 2 tsp, smoked
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 tsp, ground
- ginger - 1 tsp, ground
- salt flakes - 2 tsp
- icing sugar - 1 Tbsp
- chicken breast - 4, or chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2-3cm cubes
- Variations / Serving suggestions:
- xylitol - to replace icing sugar
- capsicum - to add to kebabs
- zucchini - to add to kebabs
- pineapple - to add to kebabs
- bread - Portuguese rolls, to serve (ensure GF if required)
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (2) and chillies (1-2) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the peeled brown onion (50g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g only) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 110C* / Speed 1.
- Add the remaining oil (20g), tomato paste (25g), red wine vinegar (30g), lime juice (from 1 lime), smoked paprika (2 tsp), ground cinnamon (1 tsp), ground cumin (1 tsp), ground coriander (1 tsp), ground ginger (1 tsp), salt flakes (2 tsp) and icing sugar (1 Tbsp) to the bowl. Blend Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Place the cubed chicken (from 4 chicken breasts) into a large bowl along with the marinade. Mix to coat well.
- Cover with clingfilm and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Soak wooden skewers in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto the soaked skewers.
- Fire up the BBQ to a high heat. Grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Make your own!
* Make your own tomato paste with the Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste recipe from The Make Your Own Bonus Issue.
* Make your own Portuguese rolls with the Portuguese Bread Rolls (Papo Secos) recipe from The BBQ Issue Vol. 1.