Portuguese Bread Rolls (Papo Secos)
In a traditional Portuguese home, papo secos are made for nearly every meal. These rolls have such a crunchy crust and fluffy inside, it makes them the perfect side dish. Papo secos are great for dipping in sauce or soup. They are a reminder of those amazing holidays in Portugal where you can find the fresh smell of bread rolls on nearly every corner. You can simply double this recipe if you are expecting a large crowd. These rolls are such a fantastic party snack and ideal for a BBQ gathering with friends and family.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Delicious rolls! My five year old came out to me, half asleep, requesting that I make 'those yummy bread rolls every single day'! He obviously really liked them!" - Sarah
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 1.5 hours
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Makes 8 rolls
Can be frozen
- water - 330g
- yeast - 2 tsp, dry active
- plain flour - 500g, plus extra for kneading
- salt - 1 tsp
- olive oil - 1 tsp
- caster sugar - 10g
- Place water (330g) and yeast (2 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 3 / 20 seconds.
- Add the flour (500g), salt (1 tsp), olive oil (1 tsp) and caster sugar (10g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Leave to rise for 1 hour. If you need the mixer bowl for something else you can transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 220C and line baking tray with baking paper.
- If you haven't already, remove the dough from the mixer and place on a floured surface. Note that this is a very sticky dough, and this will result in a fluffier roll. Shape into a large round ball and cut into 8 individual pieces. Roll in flour again. See the images in the gallery for visual instructions on this process.
- Flatten each piece into a round disc. Fold in half and gently press the edges together. Lay it flat on prepared baking tray seam side down. Repeat with the remaining 7 bread rolls.
- Dust all rolls with flour and cover with a tea towel for another 20 minutes. When the oven has reached the right temperature, uncover the rolls, place them in the oven and spritz a bit of water in the bottom of the oven. Immediately close the door and leave to bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. They should sound hollow if you knock on them. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool down before serving.