Porridge with Figs, Apples and Macadamias
This nourishing start to the day has been shared with us by Gabrielle Tobin from Kitch’n Thyme. As the long hot days of summer start to dwindle and the rains of early autumn begin to set in, there is nothing more nourishing than a bowl of porridge to warm up your soul first thing in the morning. The ingredients are quite changeable here, whatever is in season and on your fruit platter – pear, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, plums, peaches... just whatever you are in the mood for!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A delicious alternative to plain porridge. I have made porridge in my mixer in the past but it always seemed to taste like glue – this, however, was delicious. Kids loved it too. A great snack for after school." - Prue
No: Dairy / Egg
Contains: Gluten / Nuts
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- Cinnamon apples:
- apple - 2, green peeled and sliced thinly or diced into 2-3cm cubes
- maple syrup - 1 Tbsp
- cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Maple cinnamon macadamia nuts:
- macadamia nuts - 100g, quartered or roughly chopped
- maple syrup - 20g
- cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- oats - 100g, rolled
- almond milk - 500g
- water - 100g
- coconut sugar - 40g (or sweetener of choice)
- vanilla bean powder - 1 tsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- allspice - 1/4 tsp
- figs - 4, fresh, sliced thinly
- chia seeds - 2 Tbsp, white
- coconut cream - 200g, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Apples and nuts:
- Add the apple slices (from 2 apples), maple syrup (20g) and cinnamon (1/4 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 2-3 / 5-10 seconds. Spread evenly over one side of the baking tray.
- Without cleaning the bowl, add the macadamia nuts (100g), maple syrup (20g) and cinnamon (1/4 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 2-3 / 5-10 seconds. Spread evenly over the other side of the baking tray OR use a second baking tray.
- Bake the apples and nuts for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the nuts from the oven and set aside.
- Give the apples a quick toss and place back into the oven for a further 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and just starting to brown on the edges. Set aside.
- Whilst the apples and nuts are cooking, place the oats (100g), almond milk (500g), water (100g), sugar (40g), vanilla (1 tsp), cinnamon (1/2 tsp) and allspice (1/4 tsp) into the bowl. Program 11 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Speed 2.
- Portion evenly between bowls and top with the apples, figs (4), macadamias, chia seeds (2 Tbsp) and a generous drizzle of coconut cream (200g).