Don't forget the chopsticks! This easy pork katsu recipe is quick and simple (though you are cooking with hot oil, so the little ones mustn’t be running around your feet!) I have decided that this pork katsu recipe is now one of my favourite family dinners. Westernised from the Japanese word tonkatsu, this is Japanese food which consists of a breaded, deep-fried pork cutlet. It was such a success with my “fussy” daughter, “will eat anything” son and even the “plain food only please” husband – it is going to be a regular on our menu! - Yvette
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Wanting a fast and simple Japanese dish? This is it! I loved I didn't have to buy fancy expensive items. I did it with everyday pantry items and the result was amazing. The crumb could be used for other meats as well. Served with a side of fresh salad, this is a winner!" - Channy
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
- Breadcrumb mix:
- bread - 2 pieces, day old (*can use GF)
- paprika - 1 tsp
- chilli - 1 tsp, optional
- Pork katsu:
- eggs - 2
- pork chops - 5, boneless
- plain flour - 2 Tbsp (*can use GF)
- vegetable oil - for frying
- wasabi paste - to taste
- mayonnaise - to taste
- Place bread (2 slices), paprika (1 tsp) and chilli (1 tsp) into bowl. Mix Speed 8 / 6 seconds.
- Beat the eggs (2) in a bowl large enough to dip the pork medallions.
- Using a meat tenderiser, flatten the pork chops (5) to 1cm thick.
- Dust with plain flour (2 Tbsp).
- Heat oil in a large frying pan until it is hot enough to cook a piece of bread and not soak up the oil.
- While the oil is heating, dip pork chops in the egg and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Fry pork chops in the hot oil for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
- While cooking the pork chops you can keep the cooked ones warm in a very low oven, approximately 80-100C.
- Serve sliced on the side with rice and vegetables.
- Mix a portion of mayonnaise and a little wasabi to taste.
- Drizzle with wasabi mayonnaise.