Pomegranate & Kale Salad with Haloumi
Not only delicious, this salad is a feast for the eyes! It has been shared with us by Alyce Alexandra, from her book Super Healthy. It can be a beautiful centrepiece for a Vegetarian BBQ, or in fact any BBQ! If you need to make this dairy free or vegan, simply omit the haloumi and fry the almonds in macadamia oil. It is best served immediately (you don't want your haloumi to go squeaky!)
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Such an easy recipe and a great one to impress family and friends. It looked beautiful and colourful on the serving platter!" - Shannon
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 20 minutes
Serves 6 as a side
Cannot be frozen
- water - 500g, for steaming
- broccolini - 3, bunches, ends trimmed
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- spring onions - 2, end trimmed
- kale - 1, bunch, spine removed and leaves only
- lemon - 1. juice only
- olive oil - 40g
- salt - to taste
- sunflower kernels - 20g
- fresh mint - handful, leaves only
- pomegranate - 1, arils only
- butter - knob, for frying (*use oil for DF)
- haloumi - 200g, cut into 1.5cm cubes (*omit for DF)
- almonds - 50g, slivered (*omit for NF and increase sunflower seeds)
- If you wish to use your thermo mixer to remove the pomegranate seeds (arils), quarter the pomegranate with a sharp knife and add it to the mixer bowl. Reverse+Speed 4 / 1 second. Discard the skin and the pith and set the arils aside.
- Place 500g water into bowl. Add broccolini (3 bunches) to the lower dish of the steaming attachment and program 12 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Plunge broccolini into cold water, drain and set aside on your serving platter. Dry bowl.
- Place garlic (1) and spring onions (2) into the bowl and chop Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Add kale (1/2 bunch only) and chop Speed 6 / 4 seconds, assisting with the spatula if necessary. Set aside.
- Add remaining kale to the bowl and chop Speed 6 / 4 seconds, assisting with the spatula if necessary.
- Add the first batch of kale back into the bowl along with lemon juice (1), oil (40g) and salt (to taste). Program 2 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Add sunflower kernels (20g), mint leaves (handful) and pomegranate arils (1) and combine Reverse+Speed 2 / 10 seconds. Layer on the serving platter, on top of the broccolini.
- Heat butter (knob) in a large frying pan over high heat, or heat BBQ grill plate. Add haloumi (200g) and almonds (50g) and fry for 3 minutes, or until golden, turning frequently.
- Top the salad with the haloumi and almonds and serve immediately.