Pizza Sauce / Tomato Paste
Homemade pizza sauce is not only delicious but so so easy. For a budget friendly recipe, use slightly bruised discounted tomatoes. If you ask at your local markets you can often buy a big box of tomatoes for a few dollars that are still perfectly edible just not as shiny and smooth. What I love about this recipe is you can use tinned whole tomatoes which are very budget friendly. Bulk food shops often sell 2kg tins for a few dollars. Leave out all the herbs and you have a delicious tomato paste to use in recipes.
Please note: Like most tomato or curry-based dishes, this sauce will most likely stain the internal silicone seal of your mixer lid. This will not affect the flavour of future dishes and the colour will fade over a few uses.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 60-75 minutes
Makes 2 cups
Can be frozen in individual serving sizes
- onions - 2, peeled and roughly chopped
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- olive oil - 10g
- tomatoes - 800g, fresh, quartered (or tinned whole tomatoes)
- dried mixed herbs - 1.5 Tbsp
- dried oregano - 1/2 Tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- Place onions (2) and garlic (3) into bowl. Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down.
- Add oil (10g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Add tomatoes (800g), mixed herbs (1.5 Tbsp), oregano (1/2 Tbsp) and salt (1 tsp) to bowl.
- Program 60 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2. Place internal steaming basket on top to prevent any splatters.
- If you want a thicker sauce continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
Note: Freeze in individual freezer safe containers and thaw before topping your pizza base.