Pineapple Pear Crumble
Oh boy, this crumble is so delicious and yet so easy to prepare. It's easy to pack a couple of tins of pineapple when you are travelling and the juice from the tins creates a beautiful syrup. You can also make the components ahead of time and assemble on the road. Cook it up whenever you are ready for a delicious fresh dessert.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is a really tasty gluten free treat! The earthiness of the sunflower seeds is really nice in the crumble. I’ve never included tin pineapple in a crumble before, but I would most definitely do again as it does provide a lovely syrup. I’ve made a crumble in a camp oven over the fire before and it is superb!" - Sally-Ann
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 45-55 minutes
Can be frozen
- almonds - 100g, raw
- sunflower kernels - 50g
- sweetener of choice - 40g, granulated, e.g., sugar or xylitol
- tapioca starch - 50g (*or plain flour)
- salt - pinch
- butter - 70g
- cream - whipped, or ice cream, to serve, optional
- pineapple - 2 x 400g tins, pieces in natural juice
- pears - 2, cored and chopped (can peel if preferred)
- tapioca starch - 2 tsp
- ginger - 2 tsp, ground
- cinnamon - 2 tsp, ground
- Add almonds (100g), sunflower seeds (50g) and sweetener (40g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Add tapioca (50g), salt (pinch) and butter (20g only) to the bowl. Combine Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Remove half the crumble and set aside.
- To the remaining mixture in the bowl, add the remaining butter (50g). Combine Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Add pineapple pieces and juice (from 2 tins), pears (2), tapioca (2 tsp), ginger (2 tsp) and cinnamon (2 tsp) to the bowl. Program 13 minutes / 110C* / Speed 1, measuring cap off.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Pour pineapple pear mixture into a medium shallow dish. Top with the wetter second batch of crumble, followed by the drier first batch.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- We have served with whipped cream, but also delicious with ice cream or by itself!
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.