Pesto Lamb Steaks with Pesto Mash
If you have been dubious about "steamed meat" in your thermo mixer, give this recipe a try. This method will lead to a delicious lamb steak combined with fabulous flavour from the pesto.
If you have been listening to the podcast for awhile you will know that Joe has never really found his way to ‘steamed meat’. As a steak lover, even the idea that we did this experiment to make steak in the Thermomix is a bit beyond comprehension. And yet, we can report back… this steak in the Thermomix is quite delicious!
This recipe was featured in Episode 109 of the podcast: Thermomix Lamb Recipes.
We encourage you to give this basil pesto version of steak in the Thermomix a try. Lamb steaks are not the cheapest cut of meat, but we found them to be particularly delicious!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Yum! Lamb was cooked to perfection and so moist, and the pesto sauce was so flavoursome. We will definitely be cooking this recipe again." - Christina
No: Gluten / Egg
Contains: Dairy / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- water - 400g, hot
- potatoes - 700g
- lamb steak - 500g
- butter - 30g
- Parmesan cheese - 30g, or pecorino cheese
- fresh basil - 30g, leaves
- pine nuts - 50g
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- butter - 15g
- water - 30g
- Add the Parmesan cheese (30g) to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 15 seconds.
- Add basil leaves (30g), pine nuts (50g) and peeled garlic clove (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 6 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 6 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add butter (15g), salt and pepper to the bowl. Program 2:30 minutes / 80C / Speed 1.5.
- Add water (30g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / 80C / Speed 4. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Without washing the bowl, add hot water (400g) to the bowl. Add the potatoes (700g) to the internal steaming basket. Set the basket into place.
- Wet a piece of baking paper and lay it over the upper tray of the steaming attachment. Put the steaks (500g) on the baking paper. Pour the pesto sauce over the top and spread it around with your spatula. If there is more than you need to cover your lamb steaks, you can store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator for another time. Set the steaming attachment aside.
- Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. This will begin cooking the potatoes.
- Set the steaming attachment into place. Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- With 5 minutes to go, heat a frying pan to a hot temperature.
- Put steaks down into hot frying pan, pesto side down. Cook for 1 minute. Flip. Cook for another minute. Set aside.
- Slice the finished steaks.
- Into the drained bowl, add the cooked potatoes, any leftover pesto from the baking paper and frying pan, butter (30g) and salt. Mash Speed 4 / 30 seconds.
- Serve. Enjoy!