Peri Peri Chicken
This is an absolute favourite. What's really cool about this recipe is that you can dial the heat up or down to your taste simply by adding or removing chillies. Spatchcocking is a super simple technique which makes cooking chicken on the BBQ beautiful while the steaming ensures that your chicken stays moist and full of flavour.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Lovely flavour, but subtle enough that even my three fussy eaters happily ate it. The chicken was lovely and tender." - Annie
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes + marinating time
Cooking Time 1.25 hours
Cooked chicken can be frozen
- onion - 50g, brown
- garlic cloves - 2
- chilli - 1-2, bird’s eye, or to taste
- oil - 40g
- tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- red wine vinegar - 30g
- paprika - 2 tsp
- water - 60g
- icing sugar - 1 Tbsp, or ground xylitol for low carb version
- tamarind purée - 1 tsp
- salt flakes - 2 tsp
- lemon - 1/2 small, juice only
- xanthan gum - pinch, to thicken
- whole chicken - 1 (approx. 1.5-2kg)
- water - 1L hot
- Add onion (50g), garlic (2), chilli (1-2) and oil (20g only) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 1 second. Scrape down sides.
- Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Stirring Speed.
- Add remaining oil (20g), tomato paste (1 Tbsp), red wine vinegar (30g), paprika (2 tsp), water (60g), icing sugar (1 Tbsp), tamarind puree (1 tsp), salt flakes (2 tsp), lemon juice (1/2) and xanthan gum (pinch) to the bowl.
- Blend Speed 10 / 10 seconds.
- Spatchcock (butterfly) chicken by cutting down either side of the back bone with poultry scissors to remove it then flipping the chicken breast side up on a cutting board. Using the palm of you hand press down firmly on the breastbone to crack it and flatten the chicken out. See images in the gallery for a visual explanation.
- Place chicken in ceramic dish and cover with marinade. Marinade for 1 hour or overnight.
- Place chicken in lower dish of the steaming attachment. Set remaining marinade aside to use for basting later.
- Place hot water (1L) in bowl, set steaming attachment in place. Program 45 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Once finished fire up the BBQ to a high heat and char grill chicken, basting and turning every 3-5 minutes, repeating 2-3 times.
- Quarter the cooked chicken and serve.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.