Peppermint Crisp Pie
This is another popular recipe from South Africa contributed to us by Luschka of Keeper of the Kitchen. It utilises the South African-borne chocolate bar 'Peppermint Crisp' from Nestle.
"Peppermint Crisp Pie is an old favourite for me. It is rich and creamy and comforting, a little reminder of a once-was-home, of my mother, and of many a dinner party, barbeque or braai where it's been consumed with gusto." - Luschka
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg *potentially in biscuits
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time will need to set for several hours
Cannot be frozen
- chocolate - 200g, Peppermint Crisp
- cream - 500g, fresh
- caramel - 397g tin, Top N Fill
- Nice biscuits - 1 pack, or Tennis biscuits
- Break the peppermint chocolate (200g) into blocks and place in the bowl. Speed 7 / 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the bowl and add the whisk attachment and then the cream (500g).
- Whisk the cream Speed 4 / 1-3 minutes, depending on how fresh it is. Keep an eye on it as you don't want butter.
- Add the caramel (397g tin worth) and most of the chocolate (approximately 150g). Mix Speed 1 / 30 seconds - just enough to mix but not to whisk again.
- Add a layer of biscuits to the base of a glass dish.
- Add about a quarter of the cream mixture above the biscuits and spread it evenly.
- Add another layer of biscuits
- Add another layer of cream, and repeat until it's all finished.
- End on a layer of cream, and sprinkle the remaining chocolate
- Cover and refrigerate until it's ready to be eaten.