Peach Galette with Candied Almonds
This simple yet impressive dish was shared with us by Helen from Hungry & Fussy. A galette is simple to prepare and can easily be tailored to accommodate your favourite fruit - rhubarb, apples and berries all work beautifully too. Serve with a dollop of cream and candied almonds, or a drizzle of custard to make it truly spectacular. This recipe has been created and tested as gluten free, but we have also successfully tested with standardplain wheat flour too.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A really easy dessert. Melt in your mouth crunchy pastry with a lovely fruity filling. Could easily use any fruit in season.Will definitely make again." - Kristi
Contains: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 45 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- plain flour - 200g, gluten free, plus extra for dusting
- xanthan gum - 1/2 tsp (*omit if using standard wheat flour)
- icing sugar - 1 Tbsp
- butter - 100g, unsalted, cold, chopped
- egg - 1
- milk - 80g, cold
- egg - 1, beaten
- demerara sugar - for sprinkling
- cream - dollop, to serve
- Candied almonds (*omit for NF):
- caster sugar - 2 Tbsp
- almonds - 80g
- cinnamon - pinch
- peaches - 4-5, yellow
- lemon - 1/2, juice only
- vanilla - 1/2 tsp, extract
- plain flour - 1 Tbsp, gluten free
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp, ground
- brown sugar - 50g
- nutmeg - pinch, ground
- Add flour (200g), xanthan gum (1/2 tsp), icing sugar (1 Tbsp) and butter (100g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 5 seconds, or until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Turn to Speed 4 and allow motor to run while you add egg (1) and milk (80g) through the lid.
- Transfer the dough onto a flat floured surface and shape into a flat square or round disc, wrap in clingfilm and let rest in fridge for 1 hour before using. If you find that your dough is too dry or runny, add a little more milk or flour accordingly.
- Melt caster sugar (2 Tbsp) over low heat in a frying pan. Do not stir, just slightly agitate and swirl the pan to distribute caramelised sugar and promote even melting and browning. This may take about 10 minutes.
- Once sugar has dissolved add almonds (80g) and cinnamon (pinch) and toss to combine for about 1 minute until golden. Pour mixture onto baking paper. Allow to cool.
- To clean mixer bowl, add peaches (4-5), lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon), vanilla (1/2 tsp), flour (1 Tbsp), cinnamon (1/2 tsp), brown sugar (50g) and nutmeg (pinch).
- Combine Reverse+Speed 1 / 4 seconds.
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough out thinly in the shape of a circle, on baking paper. Place peach mixture in centre, leaving a 5cm rim. Fold pastry edges over peaches, brush with egg wash (from 1 egg) and sprinkle the entire galette with demerara sugar.
- Transfer to the oven on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly before cutting. Serve with chopped candied almonds and lashings of cream.