These deliciously crispy potatoes (with a fiery ‘brave’ sauce) are a twist on a traditional Spanish classic. Typically they are cooked in the pan until crispy, but we have utilised an awesome technique we learnt from Alyce Alexandra, in her book Quick Fix: Every Occasion. The potatoes are steamed with your thermomixer and then ‘chuffed’ with your thermomixer before being baked. The result is a potato that is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Typically the potatoes aren't seasoned, but we were inspired by Jamie Oliver’s version of the dish (which is delicious and can be found in his ‘Jamie Does…’ book), so we included a seasoning on the potatoes too. This recipe makes ample sauce. It’s great to freeze and pull out for next time you make the potatoes (and there will be a next time!), to put with the Tortilla de Patatas or to use as a pizza sauce.
We featured this recipe in Episode 49 of The 4 Blades podcast.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 45 minutes
Sauce can be frozen, but potatoes best served fresh
- water - 500g
- potatoes - 1kg, medium, washed / peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 2
- fresh rosemary - 2 stalks, leaves only
- olive oil - 20g
- paprika - 1 tsp
- dried thyme - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - freshly cracked, to taste
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 4
- chillies - 3, deseeded
- carrot - 1, chopped into chunks
- tomatoes - 400g tin, chopped / crushed
- red wine vinegar - splash
- olive oil - 20g
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- Put water (500g) in the bowl.
- Add 800g of peeled or washed & quartered potatoes in the lower dish of the steaming attachment.
- Program 15 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 3.
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees.
- Once potatoes have finished steaming, set aside, tip water out and dry bowl.
- Add garlic (2) and the leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary to the bowl. Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- Add paprika (1 tsp), dried thyme (1 tsp), salt (1 tsp), olive oil (20g) and the potatoes to the bowl. Reverse+Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Tip mixture onto a lined baking tray, spread out evenly and cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Clean bowl.
- Add onion (1), garlic cloves (4), red chillies (3) and carrot (1). Speed 5-6 / 2 seconds.
- Add olive oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 8 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Add tomatoes (400g) to bowl with red wine vinegar (splash), salt and pepper (to taste). Program 10 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Once cooking is complete, blend by programming 1 minute / Speed 9, raising the speed slowly from 1-9.
- Once potatoes have finished cooking, remove from heat.
- Serve potatoes drizzled with bravas sauce, or to the side for dipping.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.