Pasta with Ragu
Craving something delicious and heartwarming? This ragu is the ideal wholesome Italian dish for dinner. The whole family can enjoy this as it makes a large portion when served with fresh pasta. The chunky beef and pork mince is complemented by smoked bacon to create a beautiful flavour combination. Check out the bottom of the recipe for handy freezer tips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A heartwarming meal! Served 6 people and everyone was full afterwards!" - Rach
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts / Dairy
Preparation Time 45 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- celery - 4 stalks, in small chunks
- carrot - 2, in small chunks
- olive oil - 50g
- beef mince - 500g
- pork mince - 500g
- bacon - 200g, chopped in small pieces
- passata - 400g, tomato
- tinned tomatoes - 400g, chopped
- red wine - 1/2 cup
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp, black, ground
- dried oregano - 1 tsp
- tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- fresh rosemary - 1 large sprig, leaves only
- fresh thyme - 2 sprigs, leaves only
- fresh basil - 2 handfuls, leaves, plus extra to garnish
- pasta - (*ensure GF and EF if required)
- Parmesan cheese - 30g, grated (*omit for DF)
- If you need to grate your Parmesan cheese (30g), add to the bowl. Grind Speed 8 / 10 seconds.
- Place the onion (1), garlic cloves (3), celery stalks (4) and carrots (2) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the oil (50g). Program 15 minutes / 120C* / Speed 1.
- Add the beef mince (500g), pork mince (500g) and bacon (200g) to the bowl. Program 15 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1.5.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Transfer the mixture into a large casserole dish. Break up any large chunks of mince with the spatula. Add the tomato passata (400g), chopped tomatoes (400g), red wine (1/2 cup), salt (1 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp), oregano (1 tsp), tomato paste (1 Tbsp), rosemary leaves (from 1 large sprig), thyme leaves (from 2 sprigs) and basil leaves (2 handfuls) to the casserole dish. Cover with the lid and bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Serve with the sauce and grated Parmesan cheese (30g), garnished with some fresh basil leaves.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.
- Once cooked, you can freeze the sauce in batches. Thaw before warming in the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 90C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, or until your machine has reached 90C.