Parsnip and Carrot Quinoa Gratin
This is the side dish that can always double as a main. It has been shared with us by Tenina from cooking With Tenina. Shake it up a bit and add any root veggies of your choice.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "It was yummy and cheesy and crunchy and I'm totally going to try with different veggies and cheeses!" - Erika
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 45 minutes
Can be frozen
- parsnips - 500g
- carrots - 500g
- quinoa - 80g, well rinsed
- water - 1L
- Parmesan cheese - 100g, cubed
- cheddar cheese - 300g, strong, cubed
- fresh parsley - handful, Italian
- milk - 500g
- cream - 100g
- butter - 80g, plus extra for greasing
- cornflour - 50g (*ensure GF if required)
- coconut sugar - 2 Tbsp
- salt - 2 tsp, pink
- nutmeg - freshly grated to taste
- pepper - black, to taste
- brandy - dash
- Prepare parsnips (500g) and carrots (500g) by peeling, topping and tailing. Cut into thin "pennies". Place into steaming attachment lower dish (if you would like more than 1000g go for it, without overfilling the steaming attachment dish - nothing else needs to be increased).
- Place quinoa (80g) into simmering basket and insert into mixer bowl. Pour water (1L) over.
- Put steaming attachment into place. Program 18 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. You should be able to pierce the vegetables with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 180C and butter a large baking dish. Place cooked carrots and parsnips into the dish and put the quinoa aside in a mixing bowl. Drain mixer bowl of water, rinse and dry.
- Place Parmesan cheese (100g), cheddar (300g) and parsley (handful) into mixer bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds. Remove from bowl and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Place milk (500g), cream (100g), butter (80g), cornflour (50g), sugar (2 Tbsp), salt (2 tsp), nutmeg (to taste), black pepper (to taste) and brandy (dash) into mixer bowl. Program 8 minutes / 90C / Speed 4.
- Add half the cheese from Step 5 to the cooked sauce and stir through Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and make sure they are well covered.
- Stir remaining cheese through cooked quinoa and spread across the dish evenly.
- Place into oven and cook 25 minutes or until well crusted and golden on top. Serve hot.