This delicious Tuscan salad is the perfect accompaniment to pizza and pasta. It adds a beautiful burst of flavour to the dinner table. The croutons used in this salad are also great to serve with your next soup.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Nonna would be nodding her head with this one! Lovely crunchytexture from the bread, soaked up by the sweet juices from the tomatoes. It got my tick also!" - Monika
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 10-15 minutes
Serves 8 as a side salad
Cannot be frozen
- bread - 4, thick slices of sourdough, cubed
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- fresh basil - 12 leaves
- salt flakes - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - pinch, black, ground
- olive oil - 80g
- capsicums - 2, red, diced
- capsicum - 2, green, diced
- cucumbers - 2, Lebanese, halved, deseeded and diced
- onion - 1, red, peeled and diced
- fresh basil - 1 bunch, roughly torn
- cherry tomatoes - 200g
- olives - 180g, black, sliced
- balsamic vinegar - 40g
- olive oil - 80g, extra virgin
- salt flakes - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, black, ground
- dried Italian herbs - 2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the cubed bread (4 slices) onto the tray.
- Add the garlic cloves (2) and basil leaves (12) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides. Repeat if necessary.
- Add salt (1/2 tsp), pepper (pinch) and oil (80g) to the bowl. Combine Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Pour all but 2 tsp of the oil mixture over the bread. Using your hands, toss to coat the bread well.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crunchy and slightly golden. Allow to cool before commencing the salad.
- Do not wash out the bowl. We will use this later for the dressing.
- Combine the red capsicums (2), green capsicums (2), cucumbers (2), onion (1), basil (1 bunch), tomatoes (200g) and olives (180g) in a large serving bowl.
- Add the vinegar (40g), oil (80g), salt (1 tsp), pepper (1 tsp) and Italian herbs (2 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 6 / 10 seconds.
- Pour dressing over salad.
- Add the toasted bread cubes and toss to combine.
Already a member? Click here to login.Add to Favourites