Panang Curry Paste
Panang curry is a less spicy variant of a Thai red curry that includes peanuts. It is known for being slightly sweeter and milder, and it's used with coconut milk or cream. See the serving suggestion at the bottom of this recipe for some tips, or use it as you would usually use a panang curry paste.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Another very tasty curry paste that I have added to my repertoire!" - Erika
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Total Preparation Time 10 minutes
Makes 2 portions
Can be frozen
You will need:
airtight jar or bottle
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- eschallots - 2, peeled
- lemongrass - 1 stalk, roughly chopped
- galangal - 4cm piece, peeled and halved
- fresh coriander - 1/2 bunch, including washed roots, chopped
- shrimp paste - 1 tsp
- chilli - 5, dried
- kaffir lime leaves - 4, shredded
- turmeric - 1 tsp
- coriander - 2 tsp, ground
- cumin - 2 tsp, seeds
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked, black
- peanuts - 3 Tbsp, crushed
- Serving suggestions:
- coconut milk - 400g tin, to cook the meal
- chicken breast - 500g, sliced, to cook the meal
- fish sauce - 50g, to cook the meal, *ensure GF if required
- palm sugar - 20g, to cook the meal
- white sugar - 10g, to cook the meal
- lime - 2, juice only, to cook the meal
- peanuts - crushed, to serve
- kaffir lime leaves - finely sliced, to serve
- Add the peeled garlic cloves (2), peeled eschallots (2), chopped lemongrass (1 stalk), peeled and halved galangal (4cm piece), chopped fresh coriander (1/2 bunch), shrimp paste (1 tsp), dried chillies (5), shredded kaffir lime leaves (4), turmeric (1 tsp), ground coriander (2 tsp), cumin seeds (2 tsp), salt (1 tsp), cracked black pepper (1 tsp) and crushed peanuts (3 Tbsp) to the bowl. Blend Speed 9 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 9 / 5 seconds until a paste is formed. It can be as chunky or smooth as you like.
- Store in an airtight jar or bottle for up to a week or freeze until needed.
- Add half of the above paste and some coconut milk (200g only) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add the remaining coconut milk (200g) along with sliced chicken breast (500g), fish sauce (50g), palm sugar (20g), white sugar (10g) and lime juice (from 2 limes) to the bowl. Program 30 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 2, measuring cap on.
- Serve with crushed peanuts and finely sliced kaffir lime leaves on top.