Paleo-Friendly Potato Bake
Being dairy free has meant that significant time has past since indulging in a good potato bake. I decided that it was time to rectify that issue. This gluten and dairy free potato bake utilising nutritional yeast, which you can get from a health food shop. Note: this is a different yeast from that which you would use for baking bread! If you don't need to make this dairy free, you can simply use grated cheese on the top, and some grated Parmesan cheese in lieu of the nutritional yeast in the sauce. - Bec
If you wish to make this with the Beef Cheeks, make the sauce and topping for the potato bake first, then get your beef cheeks started. You can assemble the potato bake while the beef cheeks are cooking.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is a great go-to potato bake. The crunchy top made it my favourite. I'd fight you for the crunchy bits left on the side of the dish." - Naomi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Fills a 20x30cm dish
Can be frozen
- almonds - 50g
- salt flakes - 2 tsp (less if using fine salt)
- yeast - 30g, nutritional
- onion - 1 (approx 160g)
- coconut oil - 20g
- tapioca starch - 2 tsp
- coconut milk - 400g can
- mustard - 1 tsp, dijon
- sweet potato - 1kg of your preferred combination of peeled or sweet potato, sliced into rounds 5-10mm thick
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add almonds (50g), salt flakes (1 tsp) and nutritional yeast (10g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Set aside.
- Add onion (1). Speed 6 / 1 second. Scrape down sides.
- Add coconut oil (20g). Program 5 minutes / 100C / Stirring Speed.
- Add tapioca starch (2 tsp), coconut milk (400g can), salt (1 tsp), nutritional yeast (20g) and Dijon mustard (1 tsp).
- Program 3:30 minutes / 100C / Speed 3.
- Layer the potato into a 20x30cm baking tray. We trialled with a layer of potato on the top and bottom, with a layer of sweet potato in the middle.
- Pour sauce over the potato and top with almond crust.
- Cook in oven for approximately 1 hour (until browned and cooked through).