- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Serving: Serves more than 10
Orange and Honey Almond Cake
A wonderful finish to a big paleo feast. This orange and honey almond cake has a beautiful texture and a winning flavour combo. Your guests will love the taste, and it is sure to fill any space they had left in their tummies.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This looked very elegant, like something you would get at a high tea. It was very easy and looked and tasted amazing." - Samantha
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 30-40 minutes
Can be frozen
- Almond cake:
- almonds - 150g, whole blanched or almond meal
- eggs - 6
- oranges - 2, large, zest only (approx. 1 Tbsp)
- bicarb soda - 1 tsp
- orange juice - 1 Tbs, fresh
- honey - 60g
- coconut flour - 20g
- orange blossom water - 2 tsp
- Orange and honey syrup:
- orange juice - 200g, fresh
- honey - 60g
- orange blossom water - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 160C fan-forced. Line a cake tin with baking paper, ensuring the sides are covered.
- If using almond meal, skip this step. Add almonds (150g) to the bowl. Mill Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Remove and set aside. Note: you can also add orange peel to this step to zest the orange.
- Without washing the mixer bowl, add eggs (6) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 15 seconds.
- Add the almond meal (150g), orange zest (from 2 oranges), bicarb soda (1 tsp), orange juice (1 Tbsp), honey (60g), coconut flour (20g) and orange blossom water (2 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds.
- Pour mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown. To test, place a toothpick or skewer into the centre of the cake and ensure it comes out clean.
- Once cooked, use a skewer to prick all over the top of the cake, ensuring you go all the way through to the bottom. This will prepare the cake for the syrup.
Orange and honey syrup:
- Add orange juice (200g) and honey (60g) to the bowl. Program 4 minutes / 90C / Speed 2.
- Once heated, add the orange blossom water (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 3 / 5 seconds.
- While the syrup is heating, remove the cake from the tin and place onto a serving platter or into a container. Slowly pour hot syrup over the warm cake and allow it to soak in.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- This cake will brown in the oven quite quickly due to the ingredients in the batter. If you find it is browning too much but is not completely cooked yet, place a piece of baking paper or foil over the top of the cake tin and continue to bake.
- You can use a microplane to zest the oranges. The fine side of a grater will work also, or you can add orange peel (no white pith) to Step 2.
- This can be used as a sauce over any other dessert or breakfast such as chocolate pudding or pancakes
Already a member? Click here to login.Add to Favourites