Orange and Ginger Roast Chicken
Getting a takeaway chicken for dinner can be quite an expensive exercise these days. Here's a yummy work around. Buy a whole chicken or two when you see them on special at the supermarket and store them in the freezer until you need them. It's a great way to get more bang for your buck. This is a really simple yet tasty marinade to take that budget chicken you bought to the next level. A simple and cost effective way to make your roast chicken more delicious is to soak it in salt water overnight. It helps to keep the moisture in the chicken when cooking and adds to the flavour.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "You will end up with a wonderful flavoursome roast chicken that's just a little bit different." - Gail
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes + 2 hours marinating time (+ overnight brining if desired)
Cooking Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Can be frozen
- water - optional, to cover chicken
- salt - 2 Tbsp, optional
- ginger - 3cm, peeled
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- olive oil - 20g
- cloves - 1/4 tsp, ground
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- orange - 2
- orange marmalade - 2 Tbsp
- whole chicken - 1.8kg
- vegetables of choice - roasted, optional, for serving
- Optional: Add your chicken to a large mixing bowl and cover with water. Add salt (2 Tbsp) to the bowl and combine well. Leave your chicken soaking overnight in the fridge in the salted water. If you do this, drain the chicken well and pat dry before adding the marinade.
- Place ginger (3cm piece) and garlic cloves (2) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the oil (20g), cloves (1/4 tsp), salt (1/2 tsp), orange juice (from 2 oranges) and orange marmalade (2 Tbsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 30 seconds.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Program 10 minutes / 100C / Speed 2, with internal steaming basket sitting on the lid.
- Sit the chicken in a roasting tray and stuff the orange flesh and skin (from 2 oranges) into the cavity of the chicken carcass.
- Once the marinade has finished, pour it over the chicken.
- Place chicken into oven and cook for 80-95 minutes, until cooked through, basting every 20 minutes. When basting, remove the chicken from the oven and shut the door so as not to lose heat from the oven.
- If you wish to serve with roast vegetables, add these to the oven at the same time.
- Carve and serve!