Onion, Cheddar and Sage Tarts
We love simple yet tasty recipes, and this is no exception. It is a great snack or starter to whip up and use the last of the onions in the pantry. The combination of onion, cheddar and sage works so well and is sure to impress.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I was sent this recipe just after I'd completed my weekly food order. It didn't matter at all as it's basically pantry staples. A really simple and tasty recipe." - Julia
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
- puff pastry - 2, sheets (make your own with the Iced Puff Pastry recipe from The Easter Subscriber Bonus Issue)
- cheddar cheese - 150g, sharp, cubed
- fresh sage - 20
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onion - 5, brown, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- butter - 40g
- cream - 50g
- egg - 1
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp, cracked
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets (2).
- Add the cheese (150g) and sage leaves (20) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 6 seconds. Set aside.
- Add the garlic cloves (2) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the onions (5) and butter (40g) to the bowl. Program 10 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1, measuring cap on.
- Set the bowl aside and allow to cool slightly (until below 80C).
- Add the prepared sage cheese mixture, cream (50g), egg (1), salt (1 tsp) and pepper (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix by hand with a spatula until combined.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into squares and place them onto the prepared trays.
- Spoon the mixture into the middle of each pastry square, leaving a 1cm border around the edge to puff up and form a border.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve with salad.