One Bowl Orange Muffins
These healthy muffins have been shared with us by Tracey Rubery from The Easy Healthy Way. A delicious way to get a good dose of fruit and veg. They can be adapted to be vegan by replacing the eggs with flax egg mix. They are really filling with just enough sweetness. Great for work or school lunches. Eat them as they are with butter, or top with whipped coconut cream (add some orange juice).
Recipe Tester Feedback: "I love adding veggies to tasty treats! A fairly light muffin with a good amount of orange tang. You could add more zest to make them super zingy!" - Rach
No: Dairy / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten / Egg
Preparation Time 5 minutes
Cooking Time 20-25 minutes
Makes 12 large muffins
Can be frozen
- orange - 1/2, zest only
- zucchini - 110g, diced
- orange juice - 120g
- rice malt syrup - 100g (you won’t need as much), or sweetener of choice
- olive oil - 100g
- eggs - 2, *can use flax egg mix for EF
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- spelt flour - 280g, wholemeal (*ensure GF if required)
- chia seeds - 2 Tbsp
- cinnamon - 1 tsp
- salt - pinch
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a muffin tin or line holes with paper cases.
- Add orange zest (from 1/2 orange) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 30 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat if required.
- Add the zucchini (110g) into the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat if necessary.
- Add the orange juice (120g), rice malt syrup (100g), oil (100g), eggs (2) and vanilla (1 tsp) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Add the wholemeal spelt flour (280g), baking powder (1.5 tsp), chia seeds (2 Tbsp), cinnamon (1 tsp) and salt (pinch) to the bowl. Mix Speed 2 / 20 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Mix Speed 2 / 5 seconds. There may still be lumps of flour, but you can gently mix it through the mixture with a spatula. If you over mix you will get tough muffins.
- Put 2 Tbsp of mixture into each muffin hole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked in the middle.