Olive and Thyme Baguettes
This is a recipe that needs to be started the day before, but we promise the effort and wait are worth it! Make this dough the night before and bake it fresh for a weekend brunch or to take along on a picnic.
Recipe Tester Feedback: “Super crunchy crust and a soft, chewy inside. I would make it again!" - Kristen
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 14 hours
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Makes 4 medium baguettes
Can be frozen
- yeast - 1/2 tsp, instant
- bakers flour - 580g, plus extra for dusting
- water - 320g
- salt flakes - 1 tsp (use less if using fine salt)
- olives - 120g, pitted, of choice, chopped
- fresh thyme - 2 Tbsp, leaves
- Add the instant yeast (1/2 tsp), bakers flour (580g), water (320g) and salt flakes (1 tsp) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Add the chopped olives (120g) and fresh thyme leaves (2 Tbsp) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl, cover with clingfilm or a tea towel and allow to rise overnight.
- The next morning, gently use your spatula to pry the dough away from the edge of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a very lightly floured bench and roll into a log shape that is about 60cm long.
- With a spatula or dough cutter, cut the log into quarters. Optional: if you have a larger oven, you can make 2 longer baguettes by cutting the log in half. Alternatively, you can put your longer baguettes diagonally on baking trays.
- With minimal handling, roll each portion of dough into a sausage shape and place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Cover the baguettes with a clean dry tea towel and leave for 1-1.5 hours.
- Preheat the oven to its highest heat (250-260C) and put a heatproof bowl of water into the oven.
- Before transferring the bread to the oven, either slash the tops of the baguettes with a sharp blade or snip them with a pair of kitchen shears, then press the tip down back into the bread so it doesn’t stick up.
- Spray the bread with water and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning the tray around and respraying every 5 minutes.
- Allow your baguettes to cool completely before cutting.