Nut Free Muesli Bars
Day 1: Sunday. The cooking continues! These delights have been shared with us by Karen from Cooking in the Chaos. She has to hide these in the back of the freezer to stop her kids (and husband) eating them all at once... that's a good indicator of how yummy they are, right? They are nut free, so suitable for school lunchboxes, and freezes really well. If you need them to also be gluten free, replace the oats and the rice bubbles with 190g fruitless untoasted gluten free muesli.
Karen works full time in graphic design and marketing administration, which she loves. She is Mum to three school-aged children and the wife of a high school teacher. Are you starting to understand why Karen’s blog is called Cooking in the Chaos? Her aim is to share her experience of cooking healthy and interesting food for her family. She has been a keen thermo mixer for the last 5 years, relying on it heavily, she freely advocates its help in cooking from scratch for a family. Karen has contributed to The Festive Issue.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These are going to be a regular on my rotation of Sunday baking for the week! They are perfect for all the lunch boxes in the house and have a lovely sweet flavour." - Julie
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
*Variations: Can be made with Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Makes 16 bars
Can be frozen
- pepitas - 30g
- sunflower kernels - 40g
- dried apricots - 5
- dates - 10, pitted
- butter - 125g (*or coconut oil for DF)
- raw sugar - 100g
- honey - 1 Tbsp
- oats - 95g, rolled (*replace with untoasted fruitless GF muesli if required)
- puffed rice - 95g, use standard cereal like Rice Bubbles™
- sesame seeds - 35g
- coconut - 20g, shredded
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line slice tin with baking paper and grease.
- Place pepitas (30g), sunflower kernels (40g), apricots (5) and dates (10) into the bowl and chop Speed 6 / 7 seconds.
- Remove from the bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter (125g), sugar (100g) and honey (1 Tbsp). Program 4 minutes / 90C / Speed 1.
- Add rolled oats (95g), rice bubbles (95g), sesame seeds (35g), shredded coconut (20g), and the reserved seed/apricot/date mix and combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 30-40 seconds. Stop and scrape down sides part way through if needed.
- Press the mixture into the tin (use the back of the measuring cap to press it down).
- Bake for 20 minutes - but watch them closely, they can go from cooked to over-cooked very quickly!
- Let cool in tin and then remove and slice into bars. Refrigerate or freeze for future snacking.