Noodle & Beef Chow Mein
This quick and easy dinner has been shared with us by Lucy from Bake Play Smile. Not only is it really budget friendly, it’s also big in the flavour department and a really delicious way to enjoy cabbage!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is such a quick, cost-effective recipe for a family. I was able to use ingredients that I already had in the house. It tastes absolutely delicious, just like the packet mix you buy from the supermarket but without all the nasties." - Kerri-Anne
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Total Preparation Time 35 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- onion - 1, brown, halved
- ginger - 1 Tbsp, finely minced, OR a 5cm piece of raw ginger, added to Step 1.
- carrots - 2, roughly chopped
- oil - 30g
- beef mince - 500g
- cornflour - 2 Tbps (*check for GF if required)
- water - 300g
- curry powder - 2 tsp (more or less depending on your taste preferences)
- vegetable stock - 1 tsp, concentrate
- oyster sauce - 1/3 cup (*check for GF if required)
- soy sauce - 2 Tbps (*check for GF if required)
- cabbage - 1/2, shredded
- hokkien noodles - 350g, thin, or Singapore style (*check for GF / EF if required)
- soy sauce - extra
- peanuts - to garnish, chopped, or sesame seeds (omit for nut free)
- Place the garlic (2) and onion (1) into the bowl and chop Speed 6 / 5 seconds. Scrape down the sides.
- Add the carrot (2) and chop Closed Lid / Turbo / 4-5 x 0.5 second blasts, or until you reach your preferred consistency.
- Add the minced ginger (1 Tbsp) and the oil (30g). Program 4 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 2.
- Add the beef mince (500g). Program 4 minutes / 110C* / Reverse+Speed 2.
- Mix the cornflour (2 Tbsp) and water (300g) together in a small bowl until no lumps remain.
- Add the cornflour mixture, curry powder (2 tsp), stock paste (1 tsp), oyster sauce (1/3 cup), soy sauce (2 Tbsp) and the shredded cabbage (1/2) to the bowl.
- Boil the kettle.
- Program 4 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Speed 1. You'll need to use the spatula to push the cabbage down.
- Meanwhile place the noodles (350g) into an insulated server and cover with boiling water (time will be specified on the packet).
- Drain the noodles and add to the bowl.
- Program 1 minute / Reverse + Speed 2 (using the spatula to help mix everything together).
- Place into the insulated server and leave for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Serve with a little extra soy sauce, sesame seeds or chopped peanuts.*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.