No Sugar Grain Free Banana Bread
We wanted to create a no sugar grain free banana bread for Polly to have as a snack. We came up with this. Spoiler alert: WE loved it. Our protein loving carnivorous child? She decided to opt for something more along the lines of a lamb cutlet or steak. Ahhh well, we tried!
This recipe is discussed in Episode 106 of the podcast: Thermomix Banana Bread.
Aside from the bananas, there is no other sweetener in this Thermomix banana bread so it is a good one to try if you fancy something a little sweet while reducing your sugar intake. The taste is quite subtle – a nice blend of banana, cinnamon and nutmeg. The texture is nice and light, especially for a grain free banana bread, which can often be quite dense.
You will see some blueberries in the featured image here. Now, there are pros and cons to adding the blueberries.
Pro: Delicious little bursts of flavour as you are enjoying your banana bread.
Con: They sink and the bottom gets a little soggy.
So you can pick what suits you best!
We think you will love that it is quick and easy. The preparation will not take long, and then it just needs to go in the oven for 45 minutes. For this grain free banana bread we used up some frozen bananas, which worked really well. Over ripe bananas (including those frozen) are best to use as they are the sweetest. If you like the style of this bread but prefer it to be a little sweeter, just add a little maple syrup to your preferred taste. Alternatively, you may wish to try our other grain free banana bread – Bec’s Fave Banana Bread.
No: Gluten / Dairy
Contains: Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 50 minutes
- almonds - 160g, raw
- tapioca starch - 80g
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- bicarb soda - 1/2 tsp
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- nutmeg - 1/4 tsp
- eggs - 5
- apple cider vinegar - 10g
- banana - 200g, overripe or frozen
- blueberries - 100g, optional
- sunflower kernels - optional, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 160C (not fan forced) and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Add almonds (160g), tapioca starch (80g), salt (1/2 tsp), bicarb soda (1/2 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp) and nutmeg (1/4 tsp) to the bowl. Combine Speed 8 / 10 seconds. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Insert the whisk attachment. Add eggs (5) and apple cider vinegar (10g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 4.
- Add the reserved dry mixture to the bowl with the bananas (200g). Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds.
- If desired, add blueberries (100g) to the bowl and stir through with the spatula.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle with sunflower kernels if you wish.
- Transfer to the oven and leave to bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.