No-Coffee Coffee Cake
This recipe has been shared with us by Gail Woodgate.
"Another entry for the issue, and it's another of my mother's recipes... this one was fun to convert because she was such a 'feeling' baker that her instructions were often scant. Anyway, it's converted and appears successful. I always wondered as a child when reading my mum's recipe book that if she called it a coffee cake why there wasn't coffee in it?? I think – wild guess perhaps – this is a cake to have WITH coffee rather than coffee flavoured. Who knows, but either way cinnamon lovers will rejoice – it has a fabulous cinnamon crumble on top of the cake. Memories of my childhood." - Gail
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Lovely looking cake for afternoon tea or just because. An easy to make and follow recipe which made the house smell amazing. Will be baking again. Could take this to dessert level by adding sliced apples on top with the crumble, or a swirl of apple sauce mixed through the batter before baking." - Fiona
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 45-50 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- Cinnamon crumble:
- brown sugar - 45g
- plain flour - 40g
- butter - 60g, cold
- cinnamon - 20-30g, to taste
- caster sugar - 200g
- butter - 225g, chopped, at room temperature
- milk - 240g
- eggs - 3
- self raising flour - 375g
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 22cm round springform pan with baking paper.
- Add the brown sugar (45g), plain flour (40g), butter (60g) and cinnamon (20-30g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 20 seconds. Set aside.
- If you need to make your own caster sugar, add sugar (200g) to the unwashed bowl and grind Speed 9 / 3 seconds.
- Add the caster sugar (200g) to the bowl, if not there already. Mill Speed 9 / 10 seconds.
- Add the butter (225g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- Add the milk (240g), eggs (3) and self raising flour (375g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 45 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Sprinkle the cinnamon crumble on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes and check that the centre is cooked by inserting a clean skewer. It will come out clean when cooked.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Can be served warm or cold. Serve with butter on it and of course with coffee!