New York Baked Cheesecake
This is a classic New York Baked Cheesecake that turns out perfectly everytime. It's actually the most popular recipe on The 4 Blades blog, so when we were developing the 'Champion Cheesecakes' section, it was an absolute must-include. We've even had a podcast listener tell us that she makes this to sell at her cafe! If you haven't tried it before, add this to your list of things to make... it's one to impress!
This recipe was also featured on Episode 26 of The 4 Blades podcast.
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Total Preparation Time Overnight. Best prepared the day before
Best kept refrigerated
- butter - 85g
- raw sugar - 250g
- digestive biscuits - 200g (*can use simple gluten free tea biscuits)
- cream cheese - 750g, blocks
- plain flour - 2 Tbsp, (*can use gluten free flour)
- vanilla - 1 tsp, extract
- lemon - 1 tsp, finally grated, zest
- lemon juice - 1 tsp
- sour cream - 250g
- eggs - 3
- nutmeg - ground
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line a 20cm round springform pan with baking paper.
- Add sugar (250g) to bowl. Mill Speed 10 / 10 seconds to make icing sugar.
- Set icing sugar aside into a small bowl, then return 2 Tbsp to the mixer bowl.
- Add biscuits (200g) to the bowl. Closed lid / Turbo / 3-4x 1 second blasts until crushed.
- Add butter (85g) to the bowl. Program 2 mins / 80C / Reverse+Speed 3.
- Press biscuit mixture into the base of the tin & bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once the base has finished, remove from oven and increase the temperature to 200C.
- While the base is baking program 25 minutes / 37C / Speed 3. Note: this is NOT intended to keep going for the entire 25 minutes, it’s justto ensure the heating element continues at 37 degrees.
- Feed in cream cheese through the lid, breaking up the blocks one at a time, until well combined.
- Slowly add in remaining icing sugar from Step 4 and the flour (2 Tbsp) until well combined.
- Stop the blades and insert the whisk attachment WHILE the cheese mixture is still in the bowl.
- Grate lemon (1 tsp) into the bowl.
- Turn on to Speed 3 while adding in lemon juice (1 tsp), eggs (3), vanilla extract (1 tsp) and sour cream (250g). Scrape down sides if required. The mixture should be homogenous.
- Butter the sides of the springform pan.
- Pour mixture directly onto base in one smooth movement. This is important if you want your cheesecake to have a smooth top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200C then reduce heat to 100C and continueto bake for another 25 minutes.
- Turn oven off, allowing cake to cool for two hours with oven door closed.
- Place in fridge (preferably overnight).
- Dust the top of the cheesecake with freshly ground nutmeg to serve