My Best Ever Butter Chicken
Day 6: Friday. So instead of getting takeaway tonight, you are going to make your own, with this delicious recipe for butter chicken shared with us by Jo Whitton from Quirky Cooking. She says, "I know what you’re thinking. It can’t be the best, it’s too simple. It just can’t taste amazing and authentic when it has so few steps and such basic ingredients. All I can say is, TRY IT! Ok, it’s not cooked the traditional way, with chicken marinating for hours and then simmered slowly in a big pot for ages… but believe me, it tastes amazing"... sounds like something you've got to try!
Jo is the creator of healthy wholefood recipes that taste even better than the 'real thing'. She has used her thermo mixer with such ingenuity, allowing so many people with dietary intolerances to improve their diet in a delicious way. She has contributed to The Easter Bonus Issue.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This butter chicken is full of flavour and better than what I have had at a restaurant. I loved the taste of the chicken. I definitely would make it again as it was easy to make, the mix of spices made a delicious sauce and I also really enjoyed the cauliflower rice, which at first my husband couldn't out what it was which was amusing!" - Elizabeth
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Can be frozen
- cauliflower - 800g, cut into small florets
- garlic cloves - 4
- ginger - 3cm, fresh, peeled
- chilli - 1, long, red, deseeded and halved
- onion - 1, brown, halved
- ghee - 100g, or coconut oil
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp, ground
- paprika - 2 tsp, ground
- garam masala - 3 tsp
- cardamom - 1 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 2 tsp, ground
- cumin - 2 tsp, ground
- turmeric - 2 tsp, ground
- coconut cream - 500g
- lemon juice - 3 Tbsp
- tomato paste - 200g
- sea salt - 3 tsp
- chicken thigh - 1 kg, or chicken breast, cut into 3-5cm pieces
- Place cauliflower florets (800g) into the bowl, and chop Speed 5 / 10 seconds, or until ‘rice’ sized pieces. Place into the steaming attachment lower dish, poking a hole in the centre to let the steam through. Set aside.
- Drain and dry bowl.
- Place garlic (4), ginger (3cm), and chilli (1) into the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add onion (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 5 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add ghee or coconut oil (100g), cinnamon (1/2 tsp), paprika (2 tsp), garam masala (3 tsp), cardamom (1 tsp), coriander (2 tsp), cumin (2 tsp), and turmeric (2 tsp). Program 5 minutes / 100C / Stirring Speed.
- Add coconut cream (500g), lemon juice (3 Tbsp), tomato paste (200g), and salt (3 tsp) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add chicken (1kg) to bowl. Place steaming attachment into position, and cook 25 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed. Cauliflower rice will steam above, as butter chicken cooks below.
- Place cauliflower rice into a serving dish, and butter chicken into a separate dish.
- Serve butter chicken and cauliflower rice with steamed vegetables or a salad.