Mussels and Calamari with Black Bean Spaghetti
This stellar seafood dish has been shared with us by Rona Jongebreur from Domestic Diva Unleashed. It makes beautiful use of the fresh seafood you can get while staying in coastal towns. Don't let the fanciness of "black bean spaghetti" turn you off... simply serve with traditional spaghetti if you prefer! The celery pesto for this recipe is also featured in the Celery Pesto Chicken (also in this issue), so consider making both dishes!
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This is definitely a dinner party worthy dish. The combined mix of the celery pesto and parsley gave it this unexpected burst of flavour. It was so amazing my partner even tried to claim credit for cooking it on social media!" - Mandi
No: Dairy / Egg
Contains: Gluten / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 25 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- Celery pesto:
- cashew nuts - 120g
- celery - 300g, roughly chopped, stalks
- celery - 30g, leaves
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- salt - 5g, rock
- oil - 20g
- Mussels, calamari and spaghetti:
- garlic cloves - 4, peeled
- bread - 2, crusts (*can use GF)
- leek - 1
- rice bran oil - 50g
- celery pesto - 150g
- vegetable stock - 1 tsp, paste
- citric acid - 1.5 tsp
- water - 300g
- calamari - 600g, sliced into rings
- mussels - 1kg, cleaned and de-bearded
- rice bran oil - 1 Tbsp
- dried spaghetti - black bean, or pasta of choice (*ensure GF and EF if required)
- fresh chives - to serve
- fresh parsley - to serve
- Add cashews (120g), celery stalks (300g), celery leaves (30g), garlic cloves (3), salt (5g) and oil (20g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Chop again Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
Mussels, calamari and spaghetti:
- Add garlic cloves (2 only) to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 3 seconds.
- Roughly chop bread crusts (2) and add to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 7 seconds. Set the mixture aside in a small bowl. Clean the mixer bowl.
- Add remaining garlic cloves (2) and leek (1) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds.
- Add oil (50g only) to the bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add celery pesto (150g), stock paste (1 tsp), citric acid (1.5 tsp), water (300g) and calamari (600g) to the bowl.
- Place the mussels (1kg) into the steaming attachment lower dish and set the steaming attachment in place. Program 20 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Speed 1. Give the mussels a stir to check that they are cooked. If necessary, cook another few minutes. Discard any that have not opened.
- While the seafood is cooking, put a pot of water on to boil and cook pasta as per directions on the packet.
- Place rice bran oil (1 Tbsp) into a pre-heated frying pan. Add the crumb mixture. Stir occasionally until crumbs are lightly browned and toasted. Set aside.
- Once the seafood is cooked, place the mussels into an insulated server and pour over the calamari and sauce to keep warm.
- To serve, place pasta onto the plate, top with the seafood and spoon some of the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture and garnish with fresh chives and parsley.