This deliciously indulgent mushroom stroganoff has been shared with us by Andrea Lee from Forking Foodie. The bonus is that it's not really as indulgent as it tastes, with only 160 calories per portion. You can serve with a 225g portion of cauliflower rice (76 calories) or why not try on top of the cauliflower mash in this issue? On a non-fast day, you could easily drop in some thinly sliced steak at the end for a couple of minutes until just cooked, for a variation that will then feed three.
No: Gluten / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Can be frozen
- garlic cloves - 3, peeled
- onion - 100g, peeled and quartered
- butter - 5g
- vegetable stock - 150g, or liquid beef
- mushrooms - 450g, brown, cleaned and cut into quarters or halves - around an inch
- crème fraîche - 60g, low fat, or Greek yoghurt
- fresh parsley - 1.5 Tbsp, flat leaf, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- salt - to taste
- ice cubes - 3
- Sauce / seasoning:
- mustard - 1/2 Tbsp, English, powder
- paprika - 1/2 Tbsp, or sweet paprika
- paprika - 1 tsp, smoked (or sweet / mild, or just use another teaspoon of normal paprika)
- white wine - 2 Tbsp, dry, or 1 Tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
- tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce - 1 Tbsp (*ensure GF if required; make your own with the Worcestershire Sauce recipe from The Make Your Own Subscriber Bonus Issue)
- pepper - freshly ground, black
- Add the mustard powder (1/2 Tbsp), paprika (1/2 Tbsp), smoked paprika (1 tsp), wine (2 Tbsp), tomato paste (2 Tbsp), Worcestershire sauce (1 Tbsp) and pepper to a small bowl. Mix briefly so that there are no lumps and set aside.
- Turn to Speed 7. Drop the garlic cloves (3) onto running blades. Scrape down sides.
- Add onion (100g) to the bowl. Speed 4 / 5 seconds.
- Add butter (5g) to the bowl. Program 4 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2, measuring cap off. Don't worry about any slight bits of light caramelisation on the bottom, it gives a good flavour.
- Add the sauce / seasonings from earlier and the stock (150g). Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds, measuring cap on.
- Add the mushrooms (450g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off. It may look like a lot of mushrooms for two people, but in 5 minutes you will wonder where they have disappeared to!
- Program 15 minutes / 100C / Reverse+Stirring Speed, measuring cap off. Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Give the yoghurt / crème fraîche (60g) a good whip with a fork.
- Add ice cubes (3) to the stroganoff. Program 1 minute / Reverse+Speed 1. You should notice the temperature has dropped to 80C after 1 minute.
- Add the parsley (2 Tbsp) and whipped yoghurt / crème fraîche (60g) to the bowl. Stir Speed 2 / 15 seconds or until thoroughly mixed. Try a little of the sauce, then add salt (and even a little more pepper if you like) to taste. Start with 1/2 tsp of fine sea salt – and give another quick stir to incorporate, until you're happy with the level of seasoning.
- Serve immediately with your choice of sides (green vegetables are good) and sprinkled with the reserved parsley, and enjoy!