Muesli Bar Squares
If you have had trouble replacing a store-bought muesli bar with a homemade one, this recipe could be right up your alley. It has been shared with us by Robyn de Beer from Mrs D plus 3. She had been trying to find the "perfect" muesli bar recipe for some time, and was put off by all the hidden sugars and nasties in the store-bought option. FINALLY, after a lot of trial and error (and adding in some essential chocolate chips!) she found a winner! With just the mere mention of chocolate chips there suddenly seems to be a bit of interest from the kids. Who can relate?
Recipe Tester Feedback: "These muesli bar squares were a big hit with the kids and will be a regular in their lunchboxes from now on." - Anita
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Dairy
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 15-20 minutes
Makes approx. 25 squares
Can be frozen
- brown rice - 65g
- buckwheat flour - 35g
- chia seeds - 1 Tbsp
- apple - 1, pink lady, cored but not peeled
- dried fruit - 200g (e.g. dates, apricots and cranberries)
- butter - 30g (*use DF spread or coconut oil for DF)
- oats - 90g
- desiccated coconut - 30g
- sunflower kernels - 30g
- brown sugar - 30g
- honey - 50g, manuka
- eggs - 2 large
- chocolate chips - 70g, white (*omit for DF)
- chocolate chips - handful, dark, for decorating, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the rice (65g), buckwheat (35g) and chia seeds (1 Tbsp) into the bowl. Mill Speed 9 / 30 seconds until it becomes a fine powder. Set aside.
- Place the apple (1) into bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the fruit (200g total). Mix Closed Lid / Turbo / 4 x 1 second blasts, until the fruit is all finely chopped.
- Add the butter (30g) to the bowl. Chop Speed 9 / 3-5 seconds until it is well incorporated into the fruit.
- Add oats (90g), coconut (30g), sunflower kernels (30g), brown sugar (30g), honey (50g), eggs (2) and chocolate chips (70g) to the bowl, along with the rice / buckwheat / chia mixture. Mix Reverse+Speed 5 / 20-30 seconds.
- Spread the mixture onto the lined baking tray.
- Decorate the top with chocolate chips and then put it into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool and cut into squares, slices or bars and enjoy.