Moussaka is a classic Mediterranean dish that is perfect for a cold day. The layers of veggies and beef are held together with a creamy béchamel sauce to make a wholesome meal for the whole family. You can freeze the leftovers and reheat up to 3 months later.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "This recipe was a lovely change from the normal mince dishes that I make and just as easy." - Shannon
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Can be frozen
- eggplant - 1
- zucchini - 1
- potatoes - 3, large
- olive oil - 20g
- onion - 1, peeled
- garlic clove - 1, peeled
- beef mince - 750g
- tinned tomatoes - 800g, diced
- pepper - 2 pinches, ground black
- butter - 50g
- plain flour - 50g (*can use GF)
- milk - 500g
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- eggs - 2
- cheese - 100g, grated
- Slice the eggplant (1), zucchini (1) and potatoes (3) in 0.5cm thick slices on a chopping board.
- Heat a large frying pan with the oil (20g). Fry the eggplant until browned, then remove and place aside on a large plate. Fry the zucchini until browned and place them with the eggplant. Do the same with the potatoes.
- If you need to grate your own cheese, add cheese (100g) to the bowl and grate Speed 8 / 3-7 seconds. Set aside in a small bowl.
- To prepare the meat, place the onion (1) and garlic clove (1) in the bowl. Blitz Speed 5 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the beef mince (750g). Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add the diced tomatoes (800g) and pepper (pinch only). Program 10 minutes / 100C / Speed 1. Set mince mixture aside in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a large ovenproof dish with baking paper.
- To make the béchamel sauce, place the butter (50g) into the clean, dry bowl. Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add the flour (50g). Program 3 minutes / 100C / Speed 1.
- Add the milk (500g), salt (1/2 tsp) and pepper (pinch). Program 6 minutes / 90C / Speed 4.
- Add the eggs (2) and grated cheese (100g). Mix Speed 4 / 10 seconds.
- To assemble the moussaka, add layers to the dish in this order: potatoes, 1/3 of the beef mince, half of the eggplant, half of the zucchini, another 1/3 of the mince, the other half of the eggplant, the other half of the zucchini and the remaining mince.
- Top with the sauce and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.