Moroccan Chicken Tagine
We love different ways to present the humble chicken, and this recipe is no exception. Packed full of flavour from the spices, the sweetness of the apricots and the heartiness of the tomatoes, this dish is perfect when entertaining guests. This recipe has been shared by our very own Peta, from her TRTLMT book Mixing It Slow.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A delicious meal for the whole family–it's like apricot chicken for the new millennium!" -Ellen
No: Dairy / Egg / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 8 hours
Serves 6, can be doubled
Can be frozen
- chicken thighs - 8, boneless, skinless, halved
- onion - 1, large, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- ginger - 2cm piece, peeled
- cumin - 1/2 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1/2 tsp, ground
- paprika - 1/2 tsp
- olive oil - 20g
- chicken stock - 500g, good quality, liquid
- tomatoes - 400g, diced
- lemon - 2 tsp, zest,
- cinnamon - 1, stick
- dried apricot - 80g, whole
- couscous - 300g (*serve with quinoa for GF)
- water - 375g, boiling
- almonds - flaked, to garnish (*omit for NF)
- Place chicken thighs (8) into the slow cooker.
- Place the onion (1), garlic cloves (2) and ginger (2cm piece) into the mixer bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 5 seconds.
- Add cumin (1/2 tsp), coriander (1/2 tsp), paprika (1/2 tsp) and oil (20g) to the bowl. Program 5 minutes / 100C / Speed 2.
- Add onion mixture to the slow cooker, along with the liquid stock (500g), tomatoes (400g), lemon zest (2 tsp) and cinnamon stick (1).
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add the apricots (80g) to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on low for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare your couscous. Add couscous (300g) and boiling water (375g) to a heatproof bowl and cover. Allow to sit until the couscous has soaked up all the water. Fluff couscous up with a fork before serving.
- Remove cinnamon stick from tagine before serving.
- Serve tagine over couscous and garnish with flaked almonds.