Moroccan Carrot Soup and Gluten Free Steamed Buns
A delicious all-in-one meal to enjoy when holidaying away from home with limited cooking utensils and appliances. It's the perfect dish to enjoy on those cold snaps through summer.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "A hearty soup with just the right amount of spice, accompanied by delicious, slightly sweet rolls. Another winner from The 4 Blades!" - Bec B.
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Preparation Time 50 minutes
Cooking Time 40 minutes
Soup can be frozen
- brown rice - 230g
- potato starch - 110g
- tapioca starch - 50g
- xanthan gum - 1/2 tsp
- baking powder - 2 tsp (*ensure GF if required)
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- yeast - 2 tsp
- rice milk - 250g
- coconut oil - 45g
- sugar - 60g
- plain flour - GF, for dusting, optional
- onion - 1, peeled and quartered
- garlic cloves - 5, peeled
- cumin - 1 tsp
- fresh coriander - 1 tsp
- cinnamon - 1 tsp, ground
- allspice - 1/2 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- oil - 40g
- carrots - 700g, roughly chopped
- vegetable stock - 800g, liquid
- pepitas - 80g, roasted, to garnish
- chilli flakes - red, to garnish
- Add the brown rice (230g) to the bowl. Program 1 minute / Speed 10.
- Add the potato starch (110g), tapioca starch (50g), xanthan gum (1/2 tsp), baking powder (2 tsp), salt (1/2 tsp) and yeast (2 tsp) to the bowl. Blitz Closed Lid / Turbo / 3 x 0.5 second blasts. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the rice milk (250g), coconut oil (45g) and sugar (60g) to the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 60C / Speed 2.
- Add the reserved dry mixture to the bowl. Mix Speed 6 / 10 seconds. The result should be like a cookie dough.
- Set aside in a bowl and cover with clingfilm.
- Clean the bowl and get ready to prepare the soup.
- Add the quartered onion (1), peeled garlic cloves (5), cumin (1 tsp), coriander (1 tsp), cinnamon (1 tsp), allspice (1/2 tsp), pepper (1/2 tsp) and salt (1 tsp) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 3 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the oil (40g) to the bowl. Program 6 minutes / 110C* / Speed 2.
- Add the chopped carrots (700g) to the bowl. Blitz Speed 10 / 5 seconds.
- Add the liquid stock (800g) to the bowl.
- Roll the bun dough into balls approx. 5cm in diameter. If they are too sticky, you can use gluten free plain flour to dust your hands. Alternatively, you can just plop the dough down into mounds on the oiled steaming attachment lower dish and upper tray – it won’t look as good but will taste just the same!
- Close the lid and set the steaming attachment into place. Program 32 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2.
- Once finished, remove the steaming attachment.
- Place the measuring cap on and gradually increase the speed to Speed 7 / 30 seconds. Please read your machine’s user manual for correct method of safely blending soups as each machine varies.
- Pour soup into bowls.
- Top with pepitas (80g) and sprinkle with red chilli flakes to serve.
*If your machine does not go above 100C, set to Steaming Temperature which is usually between 110-115C. Please refer to your user manual for correct information for the appropriate setting for your machine.