Mini Chicken Meatballs with Cashews, Coriander and Cream Cheese
Another yummy recipe by Shanai from Kids Eat by Shanai. Now, whilst these make for a great dinner, they are great for the lunchbox as well! Kid friendly and easily portable is a great combination!
Recipe Tester Feedback: “These meatballs were delicious with their little pops of cheese! They were gobbled up by young and old." - Renee
Contains: Gluten / Dairy / Nuts
*Variations: Can be made without Gluten
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 8-10 minutes
Can be frozen
- onion - 1/2, red, peeled and halved
- baby spinach - 15g, leaves
- capsicum - 1/4, red, halved
- cashew nuts - 35g
- fresh coriander - 30g
- lemon - 1, zest only
- chicken mince - 500g
- cream cheese - 125g
- plain flour - for dusting (*can use GF)
- rice bran oil - for shallow frying
- white rice - basmati, to serve, optional
- snow peas - to serve, optional
- Add the peeled red onion (1/2), spinach leaves (15g), capsicum (1/4), cashews (35g), fresh coriander (30g), lemon zest (from 1 lemon), salt and pepper to the bowl. Chop Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Repeat Speed 8 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add the chicken mince (500g) and cream cheese (125g) to the bowl. Mix Reverse+Speed 3 / 20 seconds.
- This will leave little lumps of cream cheese; if you prefer a smoother consistency, repeat Reverse+Speed 3 / 20 seconds.
- Set out two plates. Put a layer of plain flour on one plate and leave the other one empty.
- Drop teaspoons of the mince mixture onto the flour and roll gently to coat and form a nice ball shape. Place each ball on the second plate.
- Shake off any excess flour and shallow fry the balls in a large frying pan with rice bran oil over medium heat. Cook for 8 minutes, turning regularly, until cooked through and nicely browned. (See Note)
- Serve the meatballs on their own or with cooked rice and lightly blanched snow peas.
Note: Alternatively, you can brown the meatballs over a higher temperature, then place in a preheated oven at 180C for 10 minutes to finish cooking through.