Mini Chicken Calzones
These delicious BBQ flavoured chicken calzones are the perfect dinner for the kids. You can easily adapt the flavours to your liking and add some extra veggies if you want to. They can be made ahead of time, frozen and baked whenever you need them. Check out the bottom of the recipe for handy freezer tips.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Made these tonight for dinner and they are a winner winner chicken dinner! The bread is light and soft. The chicken mix was delish. I think this one will be a staple at our house." - Tracey
No: Egg / Nuts
Contains: Gluten / Dairy
Preparation Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking Time 10-15 minutes
Can be frozen
- yeast - 1 Tbsp, dry active
- water - 1.1L
- olive oil - 20g
- bakers flour - 500g, plus extra for dusting
- salt - 1 tsp
- chicken breast - 1, in cubes
- vegetable stock - 1 cube or 1 tsp vegetable stock paste
- onion - 1, peeled and halved
- chilli - 1, optional
- oil - 20g
- baby spinach - 20g, fresh leaves
- BBQ sauce - 30g, or your preferred sauce
- cheese - 200g, grated
- If you need to grate your own cheese (200g), add to the bowl. Grate Speed 8 / 5 seconds.
- Place the yeast (1 Tbsp) and water (300g only) in the bowl. Program 2 minutes / 37C / Speed 2.5.
- Add the oil (20g), flour (500g) and salt (1 tsp). Program 2 minutes / Closed Lid / Kneading Function. Transfer to a lightly oiled mixing bowl and leave to rise in the bowl covered with a tea towel for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, to make the shredded chicken place the cubed chicken breast (1) in the internal steaming basket. Fill the bowl with water (800g) and add the stock cube (1). Set the basket in place. Program 20 minutes / 100C / Speed 1. With a fork, check that chicken has cooked through. If it hasn't, continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Carefully remove the internal steaming basket with the spatula and pour the water out of the bowl.
- To the dried bowl, add onion (1), garlic cloves (2) and chilli (1, if using). Chop Speed 6 / 2 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g). Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add the spinach (20g), BBQ sauce (30g) and the steamed chicken breast. Shred Reverse+Speed 4 / 7 seconds. Set aside in a small mixing bowl until later.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Roll out each ball into a large disc about 15-20cm diameter. Fill one half of the circle with some of the chicken mix and cheese. Fold over the other half and press the edge down. Using a fork, make a pattern at the edge to seal in the juices.
- Place them onto a large rectangular tray lined with baking paper. You may have to use 2 trays so that they don’t touch.
- Brush with a little milk or beaten egg to help the browning of the pastry.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- You can freeze these before cooking by freezing separately on a lined baking tray after Step 10. Once frozen, store in a container or ziplock bag.
- To bake from frozen, brush with a little milk or egg and bake from frozen at 220C for 15-20 minutes.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months