Mince and Cabbage Chow Mein
If you are looking for a flavoursome healthy meal using only your mixer, this one is for you. To avoid taking small quantities of multiple ingredients, consider creating the sauce at home and storing it in an airtight container. Pack the sauce, mince, cabbage and two carrots and you are sorted. Cabbage and carrots travel well, giving you a good serve of veggies on the road.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Great fast easy meal for the whole family. Makes a lot, so good for a family trip." - Naomi
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg
*Variations: Can be made without Nuts
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Cannot be frozen
- onion - 1, large, peeled and halved
- garlic cloves - 2, peeled
- chilli - 1
- ginger - 2cm piece, peeled
- peanut oil - 20g (*or preferred oil for NF)
- vegetable stock - 50g, paste
- fish sauce - 10g
- Chinese 5 spice - 1 tsp
- apple cider vinegar - 20g
- Chow mein:
- beef mince - 500g
- water - 400g, hot
- cabbage - 400g
- carrots - 2
- spring onions - 2, diagonally sliced, to garnish
- Add onion (1), garlic cloves (2), chilli (1) and ginger (2cm piece) to the bowl. Chop Speed 7 / 4 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil (20g). Program 5 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Reverse+Stirring Speed.
- Add stock paste (50g), fish sauce (10g), Chinese five spice (1 tsp) and vinegar (20g) to the bowl. Mix Speed 5 / 5 seconds. Scrape down sides.
- Add mince (500g) to the bowl. Combine Reverse+Speed 3 / 5 seconds.
- Add mince to internal steaming basket. Set aside on a plate.
- Add hot water (400g) to the bowl. Set internal steaming basket in place.
- Slice the cabbage (400g) thinly to form "cabbage noodles." Add cabbage strips to the lower dish of the steaming attachment and set in place. Program 7 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. While the cabbage is steaming, cut the carrots (2) into sticks.
- Carefully remove the steaming attachment and stir the mince to allow even cooking.
- Add the carrots to the steaming attachment upper tray and return the steaming attachment, including the carrots, to its place. Program 8 minutes / Steaming Temperature / Speed 2. Check that the mince is cooked through. If not, continue cooking for a few minutes until it is cooked through.
- Once steaming is complete and mince is cooked through, combine the mince, cabbage and carrots together in a large serving bowl.
- Garnish with fresh spring onions (2) before serving.