Mexican Roast Chicken
A roast chicken is a traditional Sunday night dinner in many households. This is a twist on the traditional chicken and is packed full of flavour. This chicken is stuffing-less however you can easily fill the chicken with halved limes for extra flavour. Share it with family, enjoyed with the Lime and Coriander Rice and then Warm Grilled Corn Salad.
Recipe Tester Feedback: "Minimal preparation and simple, easy-to-follow methods resulted in delicious, moist chicken with side dishes packed full of flavour - loved it!! Will most definitely make it again!" - Lou
No: Gluten / Dairy / Egg / Nuts
Total Preparation Time 1 hour 30 minutes + hours for marinating
Leftovers can be frozen
- whole chicken - 1.5kg
- oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mexican rub:
- dried onion flakes - 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder - 1 tsp
- cumin - 1/2 tsp, ground
- dried coriander - 1 tsp ground
- paprika - 1.5 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp, chilli
- dried oregano - 1 tsp
- Rinse the insides of the chicken out in running water. Optional: Brine the chicken by immersing it in a bowl of salt water for one hour. Remove and pat dry before continuing with Step 2.
- Coat the chicken in oil (1 Tbsp).
- Coat chicken in the spices. Just sprinkle each over the chicken and gently rub in to the skin. Allow the chicken to marinate for several hours in the fridge if possible.
- Fill the bowl to the max line with hot water.
- Place chicken in the steaming attachment lower dish.
- Program 60 minutes / Steaming temperature / Speed 2.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Carefully remove chicken from steaming attachment and put into an oven proof tray. Bake for 20 minutes to allow the skin to crisp.
- Ideally allow chicken to rest for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with Coriander and Lime Rice and Warm Grilled Corn Salad.